Banana Cream Pie Ice Pops

This recipe is brought to you by “lack of communication.”

Sometimes we both end up going to the grocery without consulting each other, and that is how we end up with twelve bananas.  I wanted to use up some of the extras before they turned black, and it has finally warmed up around here so frozen treats sounded like a better idea than baked goods. This really simple treat was the result–it just doesn’t get any easier, really.

Banana Cream Pie Popsicle

I made these relying only the natural sweetness of the bananas, and they were plenty sweet for us.  If you want a more traditionally-sweet popsicle you can taste the blended mixture and add in a couple of tablespoons of maple syrup before you pour the mix into the molds.  Keep in mind that cold will blunt the level of sweetness, so they will taste a little less sweet after freezing.  You could also put some slices of banana in each mold for a little textural contrast.

Banana Cream Pie Ice Pops

Banana Cream Pie Ice Pops
Recipe type: Dessert, Treat

• 2 cups full-fat coconut milk
  • 3 large, ripe bananas
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • pinch of salt
  1. Place all of the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. If you want a sweeter ice pop, taste the mix and add in a little maple syrup. Divide evenly into popsicle molds, add sticks, and freeze overnight, or until solid. This made 10, 3-ounce ice pops, though the size of the bananas that you use may result in different volume.

Paleo Banana Cream Pie Popsicles

This is a good base recipe for a dairy-free, naturally sweetened ice pop, and they would also be great with some added cocoa powder, some fresh berries, some cinnamon…so many options.  To make them more reminiscent of pie, you could also roll the ends of the frozen pops in some crushed, gluten-free graham cracker crumbs.  Fancy.

Banana Cream Pie Ice Pops

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

, , , ,

18 Responses to Banana Cream Pie Ice Pops

1. Nancy May 28, 2015 at 6:38 pm #

These look and sound great, but I’m afraid they’re too complicated for me. Just kidding — what a brilliantly simple ice pop — definitely going to try these soon!

• Angela May 28, 2015 at 6:41 pm #

Ha! Nancy, I believe in you…

2. Caitlin May 29, 2015 at 3:44 am #

I bought to popsicle molds last year and they are still in the plastic wrap. I’m determined to use them this and these might be the winner! Easy and healthy, I like it.

• Angela May 29, 2015 at 10:05 am #

Caitlin, I have so many sets of molds right now–I do use them all the time, though.

3. Denise May 29, 2015 at 5:11 am #

I try these for when (maybe if) my grandkids can come this summer.

• Angela May 29, 2015 at 10:05 am #

Hope they get to visit, Denise.

• Denise June 18, 2015 at 12:37 pm #

Yes! We just spent 3 lovely days with the kids! They loved these banana pops! They begged for them. Neighbor kids arrived and loved them too! I also made some blueberry pops similar to these but they accused me of putting granola in them, which I did NOT! I think I did not pulse the blueberries long enough so the skins felt grainy in their mouths. But this recipe was by far the big winner. Sammi said she didn’t think she even liked coconut but now she does!

• Angela June 18, 2015 at 5:16 pm #

How wonderful!! I have done that with blueberry pops and I know what you mean–they can be grainy. Thanks for sharing this with me, Denise, it cheered me up today.

4. Eric May 29, 2015 at 9:22 pm #

I think this recipe might warrant us finally buying a set of ice pop molds! Cheryl absolutely loves banana creme anything, so I am sure she would love these. Pretty sure I would like them as well!

• Angela May 30, 2015 at 10:44 am #

I have become an ice-pop-molds hoarder…

5. Adam Trainor June 14, 2015 at 1:13 pm #

I have always wanted to try making my own ice pops. But these look and sound yummy!! Now the temp is rising outside it’s a great snack to keep you cool. Plus great for the kids. Can you use strawberries too ?

• Angela June 14, 2015 at 4:21 pm #

Adam, I think strawberry-banana pops would be lovely. I wouldn’t leave the banana out entirely, as it helps with the creamy texture.

• Adam Trainor June 15, 2015 at 9:14 am #

Would I still have to use 3 bananas or less?

• Angela June 15, 2015 at 9:47 am #

You wouldn’t have to use three, I think you could get away with one. If you like chocolate with your strawberries I have this dairy-free pop that is really good, and it uses one banana (you can use less honey): http://www.seasonalandsavory.com/2013/06/chocolate-covered-strawberry-pops-dairy-free.html

• Adam Trainor June 16, 2015 at 9:46 am #

I will just use 1 banana when trying the ice pops with stawberries. I’m guessing the banana is just used for the softness?
            Thanks for sharing that link/recipe Angela I will definitely be giving that a try too. Who doesn’t love chocolate and strawberries!

• Angela June 16, 2015 at 3:57 pm #

Yeah, it does help keep them a bit softer, and when you have less sugar you want to have something there to keep them creamy/less icy. The chocolate/strawberry pops are one of my favorites–hope you enjoy!

1. 22 Delicious Healthy Dairy-Free Popsicles to Beat the Summer Heat | Traditional Cooking School by GNOWFGLINS - April 12, 2016

[…] Banana Cream Pie Ice Pops from Seasonal and Savory.  […]