Bulletproof Chai

Bulletproof coffee, which is the invention of Dave Asprey, has been all over the news recently.  No longer embraced solely by the Paleo and Keto crowds, it is now being regularly quaffed by people from across the dietary spectrum, all eager to gain the benefits of starting out the day with some healthy fats in their morning caffeine.  The benefits and controversies surrounding this drink are well documented elsewhere, so I will just reflect on my own reasons for adapting this idea to my tea-loving ways.  First, did I mention that I don’t like coffee?  It’s true.  I have never been a fan.  Tea, on the other hand, is my idea of the perfect beverage.  Since chai is typically made with whole milk or cream it seemed like an easy switch to add in the “bulletproof” elements of grass-fed butter and coconut oil in their place.  You get the same creamy froth with all of the benefits of the butter and the coconut oil.

Bulletproof Chai

Bulletproof coffee is typically made with MCT oil, which is an oil blend made from coconut and palm oils.  MCT stands for Medium-chain triglycerides, or medium-chain fatty acids, which are prevalent in coconut oil, palm oil, and to varying degrees in certain animal milks, such as goat’s milk. I use pure coconut oil instead of MCT oil for a couple of reasons: one, coconut oil is just that–straight-up fat from coconuts, so you know exactly what you are consuming. MCT oil, in contrast, is processed from palm and coconut (and potentially other) fats.  Two, palm oil is a highly unsustainable oil from an environmental standpoint, so I avoid it completely.   A small percentage of palm oil is sustainably produced, but the MCT oils that I looked at gave no indication as to how or where it was sourced.  Thus, I stick with pure coconut oil.

So why put a bunch of fat in your coffee or tea? The point of the grassfed butter is the benefits derived from the Omega 3 fatty acids, as well as some medium-chain fatty acids (MCFA), and the coconut oil provides even more of those MCFAs. MCFAs are absorbed by the body differently than the long-chain fatty acids that are dominant in vegetable oils and there is research suggesting a range of health benefits.  While many of those health benefits have been reported in sensationalized and potentially inaccurate ways, my own research on Science Direct has convinced me that MCFAs are well worth seeking out.  As someone who has struggled with my weight my entire life, I also benefit from a high fat, moderate protein, low carb diet, so this is a great way for me to start off my day with the high level of satiety provided by a fat-infused cup of spicy tea.

I hope you are still with me…here’s a photo of the tea to pull us back around!

Bulletproof Chai

Adding cinnamon and/or ginger to the mix just adds to the health properties of this beverage.  Cinnamon can help stabilize blood sugar and ginger has anti-inflammatory properties.  They also elevate this into the perfect warm, spicy beverage to start off your day.  Since I start my day with two cups of tea this recipe only serves one for me, but if you want to share you certainly can.  Here is the recipe:

Bulletproof Chai
Recipe type: Beverage, Breakfast
Serves: 1-2

• 2 cups of hot, strong-brewed, organic black tea
  • 1 tablespoon grass-fed butter
  • 1 tablespoon organic coconut oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (or to taste)
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger (or to taste)
  • a few drops of stevia, or a teaspoon of honey
  1. Place all of the ingredients into a blender and blend on high until the mixture is frothy and emulsified. Pour into two cups and serve hot--or drink it all by yourself.

Bulletproof Chai

My recent birthday has inspired me to get back on track with my diet after a few months of eating way, way off track, so please wish me luck as I reconfigure.  Look for fewer “treat” recipes in the near future–please hold me to that promise!

thanks for reading,

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

, , , , , , ,

46 Responses to Bulletproof Chai

1. lisa August 31, 2014 at 5:43 am #

interesting concept–can’t imagine putting these kinds of fats in my coffee or tea. I always learn new things here.

• Angela August 31, 2014 at 8:10 am #

Lisa, it did seem weird but (at least with the tea–cannot vouch for the coffee) it tastes a lot like regular chai. It gets a nice layer of froth, too.

• Michelle G August 20, 2015 at 4:33 pm #

If you think about it, it’s not so strange. People used to use full-fat cream in their tea and/or coffee until the fats-police said it wasn’t healthy for us. Turns out it was, and is, healthy for us and for our brains. All things in moderation, of course, but this recipe is delicious and for those of us who don’t drink coffee, it’s a great idea! My favourite tea is chai and having it with coconut oil and my fermented cod liver oil + butter capsules (need to take with fats) is just the ticket — try it, you’ll be convinced!

• Michelle G August 20, 2015 at 4:35 pm #

Oh, I should add, of course CHAI just means tea, but I am talking about the Indian-spiced version of tea. That’s the taste that gets me going in the morning!

• Angela August 20, 2015 at 5:59 pm #

Totally agree–the idea that fat is bad for us is complete bunk.

2. Karen Harris August 31, 2014 at 6:21 am #

Yep, I’ve heard of it, but never gave a second thought to trying it until now. I love both chai and coffee so I will apply it to both and see which one wins my favor. Happy belated birthday.

• Angela August 31, 2014 at 8:10 am #

Thanks, Karen–it was a nice day 🙂 Getting old isn’t so bad.

3. Elaina Newton September 2, 2014 at 8:26 am #

I love making “bulletproof” coffee with pastured butter and organic, virgin coconut oil. In fact, I’m drinking it right now. I love chai lattes, but can’t handle all the milk when I order it at a cafe, so this would be an easy homemade alternative. Thanks for the recipe! Pinning. 🙂

• Angela September 2, 2014 at 11:14 am #

Thanks so much, Elaina!

4. Liosha December 19, 2014 at 11:20 pm #

Just made it for the first time… Pretty good

5. Anna Bella December 29, 2014 at 7:37 pm #

Is there a reason for using black tea in the making of Chai? I love Chai but have never made it myself, like weak black tea. Am just wondering whether green tea makes an ok Chai as well? Has anyone tried it? Just out of curiosity.

• Angela December 29, 2014 at 7:52 pm #

Hi Anna: You can definitely use green tea if you prefer it to black tea–technically, “chai” just means tea, and the spiced version that we call chai is actually masala chai. Green tea also works really well for this.

6. Jacki December 30, 2014 at 2:18 pm #

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!! I have been hoping that someone had a chai tea recipe, vs. coffee. I can’t stand coffee, but love chai tea!

• Angela December 30, 2014 at 4:04 pm #

Oh, same here! I have just never gotten into coffee–tea is my thing.

7. Karma February 21, 2015 at 3:51 am #

I love chi tea mixed with 1/2 cup soy milk and 1 to 2 teaspoons of honey. I am definitely going to try this, sounds awesome!

• Angela February 21, 2015 at 2:24 pm #

Hope you like it!

8. Paula March 25, 2015 at 9:51 am #

What kind of black tea do you use?

• Angela March 25, 2015 at 10:48 am #

Paula, you can really use any kind you like–I sometimes use green tea–but I usually use Oolong because it is what I have on hand.

9. erica May 1, 2015 at 4:51 pm #

Hi! This sounds very interesting… are there any side effects to doing this and can you drink this once a day or just a once in a while thing? The Butter Part Kind Of Makes Me A Bit Nervous To try.

• Angela May 2, 2015 at 2:19 pm #

Erica, lots of people drink bulletproof coffee every day–I don’t drink this every day but there is really no reason not to, I just don’t like to clean the blender that often 🙂 If you are concerned about the butter you can always use a little less, but it is included mainly for the health benefits (and it is delicious).

10. Tamika May 23, 2015 at 8:06 am #

This is soooo good. Thank you for making my first experience with bulletproof tea fabulous! I used ghee instead of butter, and used a packet of granulated stevia.

• Angela May 23, 2015 at 12:47 pm #

So glad you like the recipe!!

• Sharice May 27, 2015 at 2:38 pm #

I’ve been recently on to “Fatty Teas” since I’m seriously working hard at LCHF lifestyle. Today I used toasted Dandelion root tea as my basis, and if you don’t mind the slight bitterness, the toastiness mixed with the grass fed butter and virgin coconut oil is superb!

• Angela May 27, 2015 at 9:46 pm #

Sharice, I have actually never tried dandelion root as tea–we have a bumper crop in the yard, I think I will dry some and give it a try. Thanks for the tip!

• Sharice May 28, 2015 at 12:32 pm #

Awesome Angela, let me know how it goes! I’m excited at the thought of you roasting your own Dandelion Roots! Not to mention the awesome benefits you’ll gain from it!

• Angela May 28, 2015 at 2:29 pm #

Sharice, do you have any tips on how to roast these babies? Do I dry them first?

• Sharice May 28, 2015 at 2:43 pm #

I’ve never done it myself, but I believe after cleaning them they are then dried and oven roasted. Here is a link for how to roast them for a coffee replacement. I usually go to my local health food store and buy it already done, but since you have natural access I think that’s far better!

• Angela May 28, 2015 at 3:02 pm #

Thanks so much! I will let you know how it goes…

• Sharice May 28, 2015 at 2:54 pm #

PS – I just looked over the whole web page to this link and OMG they have some awesome recipes i.e, Dandelion Tea Icecream! Wow how creative this person is!

11. Stacie May 28, 2015 at 9:39 am #

I drink a few cups of Tazo Chai Oraganic tea every morning. I was wondering if i add the grass-fed butter and the organic coconut oil to my daily tea if this would work as well? Also what are the benefits of the Bulletproof Chai is this going to help in my weight loss? Also will this help with keeping the full feeling after my intermitance fasting to push it a little longer without feeling hungry? Thanks for all your articles they have all been very helpful.

• Angela May 28, 2015 at 2:31 pm #

Hi Stacie: I think it would be great in some regular chai. I have no idea if this helps with weight loss, but it definitely will help keep you full longer in the morning. When I was doing 16-hour fasts this was my go-to thing to help out.

12. Karen Fry June 29, 2015 at 7:37 am #

I am SO going to try this!

So are you doing this to help lose weight, and if so, if you don’t mind me asking, how did it go or has gone?

Curious to know because I have a friend who lost a ton of weight last summer doing bulletproof coffee to help fast during the day and eat a healthy dinner consisting of lean meat, healthy starch, and veggies.

Thanks for the recipe!

• Angela June 29, 2015 at 5:40 pm #

Karen, when I was doing 16-hour fasting I was losing weight pretty fast, and this helped me maintain that. However, I haven’t done it in a while (and have been gaining weight…), so I need to get back to it. I always ate two meals a day when I was doing it, though.

13. HK July 19, 2015 at 1:05 pm #

I was considering of doing this, but, with Organiv Ghee (no butter or coco oil). Anyone else tried that? Or any thoughts?

• Angela July 19, 2015 at 1:29 pm #

It works with ghee, too, though I think the flavor is better with whole butter. Just a personal preference.

14. kbechiom October 11, 2015 at 1:02 pm #

Thank you for the courage to try this concoction! I had Thai-spice tea bags on hand, so I brewed those (8 c water + 8 bags rendered about 7 cups of finished product). I added 6 T of Kerrygold and about 2 T of organic coconut oil and 6 T of MCT oil and blended (side note: I need a better blender seal for hot liquids).

Result: frothy deliciousness, just as advertised. Thanks! 🙂

• Angela October 11, 2015 at 7:50 pm #

Delicious! It does help to take the center ring off of the top of the blender and cover it with a towel, especially if making more than one cup.

15. Neshele December 11, 2015 at 10:01 am #

This was AWESOME!

• Angela December 11, 2015 at 4:09 pm #

So glad you liked it!

16. CJ February 21, 2016 at 1:40 pm #

Is there any way to keep the coconut oil from rising to the top (oil & water don’t mix)?

• Angela February 21, 2016 at 3:27 pm #

Hi CJ: if you put this in the blender you don’t need to worry about it separating out.

• Betty April 21, 2016 at 8:10 pm #

If your doing one cup at a time, a frother or immersion blender works well.

17. Ann April 9, 2016 at 2:25 pm #

Do you find it helps with being regular?

• Angela April 9, 2016 at 8:44 pm #

Ann, I haven’t noticed if it does. I think coffee is better than tea in that regard.

1. Bulletproof Coffee Recipe & Benefits | Eat Drink Paleo - November 5, 2014

[…] you’re not a coffee drinker, you can use tea instead. Try bulletproof chai tea  or bulletproof green tea with […]

2. 20 Perfect Paleo Keto Recipes - March 5, 2015