Pannukakku (grain free)

My graduate school years in the U.P. included an introduction to a lot of new-to-me foods, most of them of Finnish origin.  Pannukakku was one of my favorite Keewenaw breakfasts–warm, puffy, and custard-like, this baked pancake is a perfect way to start your day during the cold days of winter.  Traditional recipes call for a good amount of flour and sugar (up to a cup of each), so I worked on this version until I had the texture I wanted using coconut flour and arrowroot.  This is lightly sweetened with maple syrup, but you can omit that (or increase it, if you like it sweeter) and it will still work well.  Harrison dubbed this “Paleo-kakku,” which I thought was a great name.  With warmed berries on top, it makes an excellent weekend breakfast.

Paleo-kakku

In the recipe you will note that I call for “light” canned coconut milk.  I have started having a few cans of this on hand for recipes that require a more pour-able liquid than is offered by full-fat coconut milk.  Essentially anything that needs to be whisked seems to come together better when I use the light version.  If you only have full-fat on hand it will still work well, you will just need to stir the liquids and solids together really well before you measure.  The “shake well” method suggested on the cans has never worked for me, so I always end up stirring it up.

Pannukakku (grain free)
Recipe type: Breakfast

• 1/4 cup butter or ghee
  • 1/4 cup coconut flour
  • 1/4 cup arrowroot powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup light coconut milk (canned)
  • 8 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoons maple syrup (grade B is best for flavor)
  1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place the butter in a 9 by 13 inch baking pan and place it in the oven to let it melt.
  2. In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the coconut flour, arrowroot, and salt. Whisk in the coconut milk until there are no lumps of starch. Whisk in the eggs, vanilla, and maple syrup.
  3. Remove the hot pan from the oven and pour the batter onto the hot butter (pour slowly to avoid splatters of hot butter). Return the pan to the hot oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the edges have puffed up and the center is set. Serve right away, topped with warmed berries, if desired.

Pannukakku (grain free)

The edges will fall a bit as it cools, and it is best served right out of the oven.  I find that I prefer to eat any leftovers cold, rather than reheated, as it tends to get a little rubbery in the reheating process.  However, leftovers are rare, so this isn’t a huge problem.  I think you will like this.

Pannukakku (grain free)

, , , , , , , , , ,

16 Responses to Pannukakku (grain free)

1. Bonnie Banters January 30, 2014 at 8:12 pm #

Breakfast is my main mea,l Angela. This dish sounds delightful…always love to see something different.

• Bonnie Banters January 30, 2014 at 8:14 pm #

Not exactly impeccable typing…should have read “main meal, Angela” :)

• Angela January 30, 2014 at 10:43 pm #

I figured it out! :)

• Angela January 30, 2014 at 10:42 pm #

Tonight we had “breakfast for dinner,” which is a favorite thing–I love all things breakfast, too.

2. Heather Brandt February 9, 2014 at 5:31 pm #

Is there any way to make it without arrowroot flour? Curious b/c my family is on GAPS and still not back on arrowroot.

• Angela February 9, 2014 at 8:22 pm #

Hi Heather: Yes, I have made it with just coconut flour (1/3 cup) and the texture isn’t quite the same but it is still really nice. The arrowroot makes the texture more similar to the original recipe but you can definitely skip it.

3. Kate {Eat, Recycle, Repeat} May 5, 2014 at 12:06 am #

I am so happy I found this recipe! My great-grandmother was from Finland, and she owned a cafe in the UP. One of her recipes that has been passed down is similar to this, though in our family it was always called “krupsuua” (I don’t know why). But I’m so excited to have a paleo version! Thank you!!!

• Angela May 5, 2014 at 9:57 am #

Kate, I hope you like it! It was one of the things I really missed from my U.P. days and I think this is pretty close. That is so cool that your grandmother had a cafe there!

4. Kristin May 13, 2014 at 11:05 am #

I tried this this morning as a fast, weekday b’fast alternative to the same old eggs. I didn’t have much time, so I just put everything in the blender and pulsed it a few times (blending the eggs and the milk well before I put the flour’s in and pulsed), and then poured it straight into the pan heating in the oven.
    My 16-year-old came down and screamed ecstatically,”Are you making a Dutch Baby?!” That’s what our local pancake place calls them, and we haven’t had one in ages since going paleo.
    I added a few drops of liquid stevia, since we didn’t have any berries to put on top and, to make it a healthy weekday b’fast, I wouldn’t let them put syrup on it. We did add a squeeze of lemon, though.
    My whole family was beside themselves and said it tasted just like the one at the pancake place. Thank you, thank you, thank you!! Finally a breakfast treat that actually tastes like a treat and not something that just makes you wish you were eating the real thing.

• Angela May 13, 2014 at 12:26 pm #

Thank you, Kristin! Your comment totally made my day. We love this too and it really does feel like a treat. I’m thrilled that you all liked the recipe!

5. Ben August 21, 2014 at 12:43 am #

Hey, I’ve been looking for a pannukakku recipe thats primal for forer, so THANK YOU for this, will defs make it asap!

• Angela August 21, 2014 at 3:18 am #

Ben, I hope you enjoy! It’s a favorite around here.

6. Anna October 25, 2014 at 10:26 am #

Hi there – WOW! This is amazing. I went gluten free about a year ago and have made Pannukakku with my original recipe using gf flour — and it wasn’t the same. I was going to take a crack at it with almond flour this morning and thought I would Google around and see if anyone else had done it. I made the recipe and only had to substitute the coconut milk — I used 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream and 3/4 cup 1% milk. It was fantastic – it tasted great and had the same texture as the original. Thanks so much — really. I can’t thank you enough.

• Angela October 25, 2014 at 11:07 am #

I am so happy it worked well for you! I have used whipping cream and it is so good that way–a little bit richer. Thanks for the comment, you totally made my day.

1. Kristine Rudolph » Explore More : February 7th - February 7, 2014