How to Roast Your Own Nuts

Yeah, I gave it a lot of thought and I still went with that title.  No apologies.  I had a request from a friend for “roasted nut” recipes, and I was happy to oblige.  Not only is it easy to make new flavor combinations and interesting snacks, flavored nuts make a great holiday gift–and a much healthier option than cookies.  I used a couple of methods here and made both a slightly-sweet and a savory version.  Using these methods you can make a wide range of flavor combinations: cumin and coriander, smoked paprika and chipotle, honey and orange…  Whatever you like.

Rosemary and White Pepper Almonds

The Rosemary and White Pepper Almonds are wonderful served warm as a party appetizer.  For this method I dry-roasted the almonds in the oven and then tossed them with herbed butter.  You can make these rather “wet,” like Marcona almonds are often served, or you can spread the buttered almonds out on the baking tray and leave them in the warm, turned-off oven for a while to dry them out a bit.  I love them both ways.

Rosemary and White Pepper Almonds
Recipe type: Appetizer, Snack
Serves: 8-10

• 2 cups raw, whole almonds
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 2-3 tablespoons snipped, fresh rosemary
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spread the almonds out on an ungreased baking sheet, so they are in a single layer. Bake for 5 minutes and then stir the almonds. Bake for another 3-5 minutes, or until the almonds smell toasty. Be careful to avoid burning the almonds.
  2. While the almonds are roasting, melt the butter with the rosemary, salt, and white pepper. When the almonds are roasted and are still hot, toss them with the butter mixture until well coated. Either serve them right away, or spread them out on the baking sheet and leave them in the warm, turned-off oven for about 15 minutes to dry them out a bit.

Rosemary and White Pepper Almonds

For the slightly-sweet batch I went with walnuts and a Five Spice coating, very lightly sweetened with honey.  Since I wanted the honey to caramelize a bit I tossed the walnuts with the spice mixture and then roasted them.

Five Spice Toasted Walnuts

For this batch I melted a tablespoon of butter with a tablespoon of honey, and then stirred in a teaspoon of five spice powder and a pinch of salt.  I tossed the walnuts in this mixture to coat, and then spread them out in a single layer on a greased cookie sheet.  Bake at 350 degrees for 5 minutes, stir, and then bake for another 3-5 minutes.  They will still be a little damp when they are roasted, so I leave them on the baking sheet after I remove them from the oven, and after about 15 minutes they will be cool and glazed.

This is such an easy food gift, and also a great thing to take to parties.

, , , , , , , , ,

19 Responses to How to Roast Your Own Nuts

1. Bonnie Banters November 12, 2013 at 9:27 pm #

Who doesn’t love to nibble on, or receive as a gift sweet or savory nuts! I’d love to have both of these nuts now!

• Angela November 12, 2013 at 9:35 pm #

I think I prefer these to cookies! Maybe…

2. Patricia Stoltey November 13, 2013 at 9:36 am #

I admit it. I laughed out loud when I got my email alert and saw the title of this blog post. And yes, roasted nuts make the perfect snacks. Thanks for putting this recipe out there at exactly the right time.

• Angela November 13, 2013 at 6:13 pm #

Oh, good, I’m glad someone shares my sense of humor :)

3. Robin {Mom Foodie} December 2, 2013 at 4:27 pm #

I often roast or candy nuts… so much more practical to buy the bigger bag, then make them how you want.

• Angela December 3, 2013 at 6:16 pm #

I just bought a giant bag of almonds–ready to make some gifts.

4. Betsy December 10, 2013 at 2:02 pm #

I think I’m going to try an orange-honey-clove-ginger combo today, with local pecans.

• Angela December 10, 2013 at 3:18 pm #

That sounds fantastic, please report back! I just made a batch of maple-five spice walnuts. They smell so good.

• Betsy December 10, 2013 at 6:10 pm #

My husband threw out all the honey, so I used molasses instead. 1 t cloves and the zest of one orange. Stay tuned!

5. Betsy December 10, 2013 at 7:56 pm #

They were really good! The flavor was subtle, but grew on me the more I shoveled in my mouth.

6. Christa Albrecht December 15, 2013 at 8:20 am #

Angela,

I am making these nuts for my neighbor gifts this year and have a question: I want to use almonds but am not a fan of the rosemary. Do you think I could use the walnut recipe (with the honey and five spice) for the almonds? If not, I’ll just get walnuts. I just thing almonds will fit better into the little gift cones I’ve made.

7. Christa Albrecht December 15, 2013 at 8:21 am #

Angela,

I am making these nuts for my neighbor gifts this year and have a question: I want to use almonds but am not a fan of the rosemary. Do you think I could use the walnut recipe (with the honey and five spice) for the almonds? If not, I’ll just get walnuts. I just think almonds will fit better into the little gift cones I’ve made.

• Angela December 15, 2013 at 9:46 am #

Christa, yes, it would definitely work with the almonds–and if you want to do savory ones you could skip the rosemary and any other spice (like a teaspoon of smoked paprika, for instance). The basic method works with pretty much any kind of spice combo.

• Christa Albrecht December 15, 2013 at 10:11 am #

Ok, cool. Then I’ll go ahead and get almonds at Costco today and will roast them tomorrow or Tuesday. I”ll let you know how everything turns out. Thanks so much!

• Christa Albrecht December 16, 2013 at 2:36 pm #

Angela, I have one more question. The five spice powder–that’s Chinese five spice, right? I want to make my own, actually, but I looked at recipes and they call for both anise and fennel….I am scared about the potentially overpowering taste of those two spices. Should I be? Do these nuts taste like fennel and anise in the end?

• Angela December 16, 2013 at 3:21 pm #

There are a number of different blends that go by “five spice” and the two most common spices are cinnamon and sichuan peppercorns–usually star anise, and sometimes fennel, sometimes cloves, but also ginger, orange, nutmeg, and lots of other spices. Most blends do have a faint licorice taste from the anise, so if you are worried about it I would make your own blend of spices. I have made my own using cinnamon, nutmeg, sichuan peppercorns, white pepper, and anise, for instance–using pretty much equal parts of all of the spices, but going light on the white pepper. If you are really licorice-averse, skip both the anise and fennel and just toss in something else you like. Some kind of mild peppery element is nice.

8. Christa Albrecht December 16, 2013 at 3:24 pm #

Ah, I see. Your explanation is super helpful. Thanks! As you can tell, I have never roasted almonds before. But I’ll be doing it probably tomorrow afternoon. I got the almonds today. I will probably omit the fennel and anise (yes, I do not like licorice) and will use cinnamon, nutmeg, the peppercorns, and maybe honey. I’ll send you pics.

• Angela December 16, 2013 at 5:01 pm #

Definitely, let me know how they turn out–and you can use more honey for a sweeter product, I just like to keep it light. I did some walnuts with maple syrup and cinnamon last week, and they were pretty fantastic. I used about three tablespoons of maple syrup for those.

1. 25 Days of Paleo Christmas Recipes - Bravo For Paleo - December 1, 2013