Pumpkin Spice Truffles

‘Tis the season for pumpkin-flavored everything, and I have been drooling over all sorts of pumpkin-y desserts on Pinterest.  Pumpkin truffles seemed like something that would be easy to adapt into a healthy-ish treat, and indeed they were.  I used a base of coconut butter, coconut oil, and organic pumpkin puree, and spiced it up with cinnamon, nutmeg, and honey.

Pumpkin Spice Truffles

I dipped these in 85% dark chocolate, but you can keep them dairy free by using a chocolate brand like Enjoy Life.  I was more interested in reducing the sugar than the dairy, so I went with the dark chocolate.  These are very low sugar for a candy, and of course you can adjust the honey to taste.  If you want to reduce the sugar even more, substitute about 20 drops of liquid stevia for half of the honey.

5.0 from 4 reviews
Pumpkin Spice Truffles
Recipe type: Candy, Dessert

• ½ cup coconut butter*, warmed to liquid
  • ½ cup organic pumpkin puree
  • ¼ cup coconut oil, warmed to liquid
  • 3 tablespoons honey (or to taste)
  • ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • pinch of salt
  • 6 ounces dark chocolate, for dipping
  • *coconut butter is whole, pureed coconut meat, and is also called coconut manna or coconut cream concentrate
  1. In a small bowl, stir together all of the ingredients but the chocolate. Taste the mixture and adjust the seasonings, if needed. Chill the filling until it is firm enough to roll into small balls.
  2. Roll the filling into rounds for the truffle centers--this will make about twenty candies. Place the rolled truffle centers onto a plate and refrigerate again until firm.
  3. Melt the chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl, stirring after each 30-second heating interval. When the chocolate is smooth, use a fork to dip the chilled truffle centers, turning them to coat well, and then transfer the dipped truffles to waxed paper or parchment paper to cool. Let the chocolate set completely and then they are ready to serve.

Pumpkin Spice Truffles

If you want to get really crazy here, you can let the chocolate set up and then do a second dip to form a thicker chocolate shell.  I wasn’t feeling quite that uninhibited, so I went with a single dip.  Note that whenever you dip candies you are going to end up with some leftover melted chocolate (I know, such a tragedy).  I solve this problem by dumping in some almonds or walnuts, stirring it up, and then spreading it out on some waxed paper to make some “bark.”  Let it set completely, then break it into pieces and enjoy.

, , , , , , ,

25 Responses to Pumpkin Spice Truffles

1. Bonnie Banters September 23, 2013 at 8:57 pm #

Just…WOW!

• Angela September 24, 2013 at 12:26 pm #

2. Karen Harris September 23, 2013 at 10:44 pm #

What a great little Thanksgiving treat. They would be a welcomed departure from the only truffle I ever make, chocolate covered chocolate. These look just wonderful.

• Angela September 24, 2013 at 12:25 pm #

Chocolate on chocolate is a personal fave.

3. Denise in Michigan September 24, 2013 at 7:20 am #

Angela! When you said “I wasn’t feeling quite that uninhibited” I became alarmed! Are you OK?

Recipe looks great though.

• Angela September 24, 2013 at 12:25 pm #

Just feeling slightly inhibited. Otherwise, a-ok!

4. Patricia Stoltey September 24, 2013 at 10:06 am #

Oh, my. I’d eat these for breakfast.

• Angela September 24, 2013 at 12:25 pm #

I did this a.m.!

5. Cynthia September 25, 2013 at 1:27 pm #

Hi. This looks like a great recipe. Can you tell me if there’s a way to pin just the recipe to Pinterest? Thanks!

• Angela September 25, 2013 at 4:33 pm #

Hi Cynthia: Not that I am aware of, and you actually should not post full recipes to Pinterest (or anywhere else), anyway. I put a lot of work into developing the recipes (most food bloggers do), and if you post the whole thing elsewhere you are no longer linking to my site, which is how I pay the bills. So, I am really glad you like it, but please don’t do that!

• Cynthia September 25, 2013 at 8:30 pm #

I appreciate your answer, but I think you might be mistaken. Each item I pin to Pinterest goes directly to the source. For example, if you were to put an icon to pin this exact recipe, when I pin it and anyone views my pin, it opens this very page for the recipe. You not only get 100% credit for the recipe, but it takes many more people to your blog. Many, many, many of the recipes I pin are repinned by others…. each one giving credit to the original recipe/blog.

I, like many others, go to the main source of the recipe. Many people will tweek a recipe and post it on Facebook, giving the source of the original recipe. I always go to the original blog/recipe and pin from there. That way the original blogger/recipe gets the view and the credit.

I would never, ever post anything as mine or not give credit where credit is due, but just so you know, I don’t even have that option when I pin directly from someone’s blog. Most bloggers put on the ability to pin from their blog and like I said, each time someone pins it to their Pinterest board, all the credit goes to that blogger (never to the pinner).

I hope I wrote that clear enough. You might want to check into it because I truly believe your “views” would more than quadruple.

Thanks again for the post, the great recipe, and for your reply.

• Angela September 25, 2013 at 8:48 pm #

Hi Cynthia; It’s possible that I am misunderstanding what you asked, so bear with me–if you post the full recipe, there is no incentive for anyone to click back to my site, even if it is linked. They already have the recipe. That’s why Pinterest is set up to share only the photos, which link back to the original site, and the full recipe. If you do in fact mean that you want to share a full recipe, that is actually copyright infringement. I am aware that there are many people who do this and do not know that it is infringement, and there are also a number of Facebook sites that post entire recipes–but that, too, is copyright infringement, and food bloggers are constantly working to have their work taken down, often by filing official take-down notifications. When people post full recipes they remove the incentive to visit the original site, so it isn’t helpful and it does not increase traffic. If this is not what you mean, apologies for the misunderstanding.

• Cynthia September 25, 2013 at 10:40 pm #

Hi Angela. I know exactly what you mean about copyright infringements and I also know how hard you work at your job. You have my total respect for the job you do and I support it 10000%!

I think my initial comment was probably confusing. What I pin is the picture and the link to the recipe, not the entire recipe itself. When I want to print out the recipe to use, I go to Pinterest, find the link, and open it up. TaaaDaaa, there’s the recipe as written and blogged by the original blogger. I didn’t know there’s a way to pin it wherein it doesn’t give you the credit or go back to your blog (not that good at it).

I’m sorry if I confused you. I just wanted a way to save YOUR recipe on my Pinterest page wherein I can refer to it when I want to make it.

Thanks!

• Angela September 26, 2013 at 9:08 am #

*Yes* I was totally confused! Sorry about that, I suspected as much. I have been trying to get a “Pin It” button to add to the specific posts, so I will definitely try to figure that out. And, thank you for your patience :)

6. Lynn September 25, 2013 at 5:04 pm #

I have homemade pumpkin puree. It’s a thinner consistency than canned (more like applesauce than a paste/pudding texture). Do you think the truffles would still set up properly?

• Angela September 25, 2013 at 5:16 pm #

Hi Lynn: I think it will, yes, but I would start with a smaller amount (maybe a third of a cup) and see how soft the texture is. It firms up quite a lot in the fridge, so even if it is fairly soft I think you could chill it enough to make it firm enough to form the centers.

7. Katherine September 29, 2013 at 6:06 pm #

Recipes are not patentable nor can you copyright them. However, you can protect the processes that you use. The process that you use to make said cake, that no one else can use but if they have another method of making it, it can work. I just started my own business last year, I had change some established recipes and alter some ratios to make them my own. When I asked and researched, recipes just aren’t patentable alone and no one can reprint your recipes in a magazine that is protected by copyright law.
    “A copyright is a form of intellectual property that is meant to protect the creator of an original creative work, such music, art or literature, against unwanted copying. A recipe in the form of a simple list of ingredients and a procedure cannot be copyrighted, as it is not considered an original work. Recipes can be copyrighted when they contain significant literary expression, such as thorough directions or other thoughts and ideas. Collections of recipes, such as those in cookbooks, can also be copyrighted”

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/how_5020266_copyright-recipe.html#ixzz2gKVdO3Zv

• Angela September 29, 2013 at 7:22 pm #

Correct–ingredients lists are not subject to copyright, but instructions are, as are original photos.

8. Eric October 5, 2013 at 8:02 pm #

I don’t know about patents, trademarks, copyrights, etc., but I do know Cheryl will LOVE these! I will have to make some puree, using some of mom and dad’s winter squash. I wonder if butternut puree would substitute well? I am thinking it might…

• Angela October 5, 2013 at 8:48 pm #

I think it would…

1. Indian Spiced Sweet Potato & Bacon Soup | The Freckled Foodie - September 29, 2013

[…] cookie recipe for you lovelies so get excited for that! In the meantime I have been drooling over these for the past few days, so try ‘em and let me know how they […]

2. Ultimate Pumpkin Recipe Round-up (with dietary needs chart) - September 30, 2013

[…] Pumpkin Spice Truffles […]

3. Paleo Menu: 20 Pumpkin Dessert Recipes — A Girl Worth Saving - October 8, 2013

[…] Pumpkin Spice Truffles […]

4. Paleo Menu: 20 Halloween Candy Recipes — A Girl Worth Saving - October 22, 2013

[…] Pumpkin Spice Truffles […]

5. Pumpkin Truffles | The Paleo Prize - October 30, 2013

[…] a hit with most people (the ones that know anything there is to know about anything).  I followed this recipe, but left an the coconut oil out…and I snazzed them up quite a bit.  Aren’t they […]