Pomegranate Molasses

In my ongoing quest to make my own, healthier condiments, I decided to work on some barbecue sauce recipes.  Pomegranate molasses is a richly-flavored addition to barbecue sauce (or used all by itself, as a glaze), but commercial types have a good deal of added sugar.  It isn’t clear to me why you would want to add sugar to the pure juice, because it is intensely sweet-tart of its own accord.  So, I made my own.  I bought a 32-ounce bottle of unsweetened, pure pomegranate juice and then reduced it into thick syrup.  This is a technique rather than a recipe, and I will be sharing some recipes that use this ingredient in some upcoming posts.

Pomegranate Molasses

This is called “molasses” because it has about the same texture and viscosity, and it is used in lots of similar ways.  There is nothing complicated about making your own, it just takes a little patience to let it reduce to the right thickness, which should be like, well, molasses…  Note that I live at 5000 feet above sea level, so liquids reduce faster here–at sea level it will take longer.  The flavor of the end product is so vibrant you will definitely end up making this again and again.

Pomegranate Molasses
Recipe type: Condiment

• 32 ounces unsweetened pomegranate juice
  1. Fill a saucepan with the juice and bring it to a low boil. Reduce the heat so the liquid will stay at a low boil, and let the juice cook down until you have a scant cup of thick, syrupy liquid. This will take about an hour, and it will thicken up more once it is cooled. Once you have the thickness you like, let it cool completely and then transfer the molasses to a glass jar and store it in the refrigerator. This will keep well for a few months if refrigerated.

Pomegranate Molasses

If you cannot locate unsweetened pomegranate juice at your grocery you can probably find it at a health food store.  Knudsen’s brand is widely available.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

9 Responses to Pomegranate Molasses

1. Tina @ epicuricloud September 13, 2013 at 6:43 am #

Great idea Angela! Will definitely have to try! Thank you!

2. Denise in Michigan September 13, 2013 at 6:50 am #

I’m glad to learn that the pomegranate juice I bought recently is NOT molasses as I thought. It is only 10oz though so I’ll have to buy another bottle or two in order to make it worthwhile to cook it down. I was looking for the molasses to make Black-eyed pea soup with Pomegranate and Chard that was recently in NYT. Looking forward to your recipes too.

3. Karen Harris September 13, 2013 at 7:56 am #

I bought some pomegranate molasses about a year ago and haven’t done a darn thing with it. I guess I’ll drag it out and see how much junk is in it. I think I’ll just go get some juice and make my own if you promise to show me some creative uses for it.

4. Jersey Girl Cooks September 13, 2013 at 11:36 am #

All I can say is Mmmmmnn. I would love to see what you put it on.

5. Elmer October 24, 2014 at 1:09 pm #

I just made some syrup from two pomegranates boil it for 15 minutes and it cooked to nothing. it was on low heat. Did I need to stir as it cooked?

• Angela October 24, 2014 at 1:19 pm #

Elmer, it was probably just too small of an amount of juice to start with, though I am just guessing here. I used 32 ounces of juice, which is four cups, and you probably were starting with about a cup or less. That amount would cook down to only a few tablespoons, though it should still be perfectly good if it did not burn in the process. How much were you left with?

6. Frances July 29, 2018 at 11:39 am #

Darn, I wish I read this before I added a cup of sugar to my unsweetened juice…I really didn’t want to add sugar but I wasn’t sure that the chemistry would work without adding sugar…

• Angela July 29, 2018 at 12:11 pm #

Oh no! I hope it still turned out okay. Maybe you could balance it with a little lemon juice?

1. Roasted Red Pepper and Walnut Dip | Seasonal & Savory - September 19, 2013

[…] is a recipe that uses pomegranate molasses, and I used my homemade version to avoid any added sugar.  If you don’t have this ingredient […]