Chocolate-covered Strawberry Pops (dairy free)

Strawberry plants grow all around the yard here, in many random spots where they have apparently been planted by birds.  I generally prefer to let them grow unless they are directly in the way of something important, because I love random strawberries.  Every June it is worth doing a daily morning check to look for spots of red, hoping that there will be enough at least for a snack (usually, yes).  It isn’t the most efficient way to grow strawberries, but they are so superior in flavor to anything you can buy from a grocery, I think it is worth it to let them continue to live where they please.  When I need more of the real thing, I pick them up from a farmstand, which I did to supplement my handful of home-grown strawberries for this recipe.

Chocolate-covered Strawberry Pops

Chocolate-covered Strawberry Pops

Because freshly-picked strawberries are softer and sweeter than the varieties that you typically find in a grocery store, they also work really well in these pops.  They do not turn into fruit rocks when frozen, and they are sweet enough that you don’t need a lot of added honey in the chocolate base.  If you don’t have access to home grown or farmstand berries, I would suggest two changes for using grocery-store berries: first, cut the berries into smaller pieces (and try to buy smaller berries, because they are usually softer), and also increase the honey by a tablespoon or two to make up for the reduced sweetness of the berries.  Note that if you are tasting the unfrozen base to see if it is sweet enough, you should account for the fact that freezing dulls sweetness levels–so it won’t taste as sweet coming out of the freezer as it did going in.

5.0 from 2 reviews

Chocolate-covered Strawberry Pops (dairy free)
Recipe type: Dessert, Ice Pops

• 1 can of full-fat coconut milk (13-15 ounces)
  • 1 large, ripe banana
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • ¼ cup honey
  • ¼ cup cocoa powder
  • 1 pint strawberries, hulled and sliced
  1. Place the coconut milk, banana, vanilla, honey, and cocoa powder in a blender. Blend until very smooth.
  2. Add berry slices to each of the molds you are using for the popsicles. If you don’t have popsicle molds, you can use small paper cups for these. I used a Norpro mold that makes 10, 3-ounce pops.
  3. Pour the cocoa mix slowly into the molds so it will settle around the berries. Gently tap the molds on the counter to fill in air pockets, and top with more cocoa mixture until your molds are almost full (the mixture will expand as it freezes, so leave a little room at the top). Insert wooden sticks (the strawberries should keep them in place) and freeze overnight, or until frozen through.

Chocolate-covered Strawberry Pops

These make a perfect summer dessert or snack, and the banana helps keep the texture creamy even when they are right out of the freezer.  If you have some great strawberries, here’s another fun way to use them in season.

, , , , , , ,

13 Responses to Chocolate-covered Strawberry Pops (dairy free)

1. Karen Harris June 20, 2013 at 6:57 am #

I just made some homemade chocolate ice cream (not quite as healthy as yours) and I so wish I would have had a handful of wild strawberries to mix in. Maybe next batch! These look delicious.

• Angela June 25, 2013 at 9:53 am #

I just ate a bug with one of my strawberries–mental note, “wash first.”

2. Yvonne June 20, 2013 at 9:51 am #

I am so going to make these these look absolutely delicious!
    thanks for sharing!
    Yvonne
    from livebakelove

• Angela June 25, 2013 at 9:53 am #

Thanks, Yvonne! Your blog looks beautiful.

3. Tina @ epicuricloud June 21, 2013 at 12:41 pm #

ooh these look perfectly awesome!! Love the helpful berry tips!! I didn’t know about the tasting before and after freezing tips! Thanks Angela!!

• Angela June 25, 2013 at 9:54 am #

Tina, at first I thought it was just my tastebuds, but did a little research and found out that it does dull the sweet. Pretty interesting.

4. Aimee @ Violet Femme June 23, 2013 at 5:16 pm #

Mmm, sounds so indulgent!

5. Angela June 25, 2013 at 9:54 am #

Aimee, they definitely are–but hey, there’s fruit in there, right?

6. Melissa September 28, 2013 at 12:58 pm #

I made these for my family and they were by far their most favorite paleo dessert so far! However, my husband gave me permission to omit the strawberries because he thought they were “unneccessary” and he just wanted chocolate (needless to say, you can tell we’re still fighting the sugar cravings). When I went to make them again, I was out of coconut milk. I promised him I’d get some and make them the next day. When I got home the next day, we had run out of bananas. He said, “You are just determined not to make them for me, aren’t you?” Now I’m in trouble…. better go to the store!

• Angela September 28, 2013 at 3:04 pm #

Hahahahaha! I love it–and yeah, they would probably be pretty good without the strawberries, too :) So happy you like them!

7. Denise in Michigan December 29, 2013 at 6:03 pm #

This recipe makes me sad because I had planned to make these when my 5 year old granddaughter and daughter-in-law came to stay with us while Yang went back to grad school. But after 2 weeks Yang decided it wasn’t going to work. So I never got to do many of the things I planned, mostly make these popcycles!

• Angela December 29, 2013 at 6:23 pm #

:( I hope you get to follow through on those plans soon, Denise!

1. TodaysMama.com - 13 Popsicle Recipes Your Kids Need This Summer - April 9, 2014

[…] Chocolate-Covered Strawberry Pops | Seasonal and Savory […]