Onion and Rosemary Tart (grain free)

The opening day of the Farmers’ Market was this weekend, and with the fridge now stocked with spinach, baby lettuce, mushrooms, cheese, eggs, and wine from the market, I was inspired to use the last of the storage onions to free up some space.  I am so ready for weekly market trips.  This tart is simple but takes a little time to cook down the onions, but you can make the onion filling a day in advance if you like, and then just make the crust and bake it as directed.

Onion and Rosemary Tart

It’s easy to adapt this to be dairy-free if you like–just use all olive oil for the filling (or, as I have done in the past, bacon fat) and skip the gruyere in the crust. Use coconut oil instead of butter in the crust.  The crust will be a little thinner if you skip the cheese, but will still hold together perfectly well.

5.0 from 1 reviews

Onion and Rosemary Tart (grain free)
Recipe type: Appetizer, Main Dish
Serves: 4-8

• 2 pounds of yellow onions (4-5 medium)
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 tablespoon chopped, fresh rosemary
  • ½ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
  • ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
  • 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
  • For the crust:
  • 2 cups almond flour
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon chopped, fresh rosemary
  • ½ cup shredded gruyere cheese
  • 3 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1 egg
  1. Peel the onions and slice them fairly thin. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil and butter over medium heat. Add the onions and cook them until they are golden and reduced in volume by about half–this will take about 20-25 minutes. Stir them occasionally for the first half of cooking time, and more frequently during the last five minutes of cooking time.
  2. When the onions are golden, stir in the rosemary, salt, white pepper, and vinegar.
  3. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. For the crust, stir together the almond flour, salt, rosemary, and gruyere cheese. Add in the melted butter and egg and stir until the mixture comes together as a dough.
  4. Spray a 10-or-12-inch springform pan (a tart pan or a regular cake pan will work) with some cooking spray to coat. Press the dough evenly over the bottom of the prepared pan, and slightly up the edge. Pile on the onions and spread them out. Bake for 25 minutes, or until the tips of the onions are getting dark brown.
  5. Serve hot or at room temperature.

Onion and Rosemary Tart

Note that dried rosemary is more intense than fresh, so use only half as much if you do not have fresh available.

, , , , , ,

14 Responses to Onion and Rosemary Tart (grain free)

1. Betsy April 7, 2013 at 3:47 pm #

Oooh…I’m going to have to try this.

• Angela April 7, 2013 at 7:47 pm #

It’s also good with bacon…

• Anna Baty August 2, 2013 at 5:24 pm #

Angela,

I made this onion and rosemary tart without the gruyere for a friend who is gluten and dairy intolerant. It was my first attempt to bake with almond flour. OMG I will never use wheat flour again. The tart was absolutely perfect. I had to bake it abt 35 mins. I think my oven runs a little cool.
        The crust came together easily and was also easy to mold into the tart pan and fully up the sides. I let it cool about 10 mins, which was difficult because the aroma was divine.
        The crust has a very pleasing texture, sort of like a savory cookie. The onion filling is faintly sweet and mellow with a subtle hint of rosemary. Even though I didn’t include the gruyere something in the meld of flavors reminds me of it. Thank you so much. I will definitely be making this recipe again. It gets six stars from me.
        Anna

• Angela August 2, 2013 at 5:39 pm #

Anna, thank you so much! That makes my day. I am baking at about 5000 ft above sea level, so that does tend to change the baking time by a few minutes. I really appreciate your feedback.

2. Scarlet Paolicchi April 7, 2013 at 3:48 pm #

This looks so delicious! I’m a huge onion fan, so I’ll definitely be giving this recipe a try. Can you substitute regular flour for the almond flour without any other changes?

I’ve pinned this and added it to my StumbleUpon. :)

• Angela April 7, 2013 at 7:47 pm #

Scarlet, I think it would work with the same amount of regular flour–you might need an extra tablespoon of butter for moisture. Thanks for the Stumble!

3. Kristin @ Dizzy Busy and Hungry! April 7, 2013 at 6:51 pm #

So intriguing! My husband and I will love this! Thanks for the tip on the dried rosemary…sometimes I just don’t have fresh on hand so that is good to know.

• Angela April 7, 2013 at 7:49 pm #

Kristen, it’s also good with fresh thyme–but dried of either will also work. Hope you like it!

4. Karen Harris April 8, 2013 at 6:39 am #

Very nice Angela. Now all I need is a Caesar salad and a glass of wine for a perfect supper.

5. Tricia April 8, 2013 at 9:39 am #

This looks wonderful Angel. It’s on my list to make.

• Angela April 8, 2013 at 2:19 pm #

Thanks, Tricia! I hope you like it.

6. Tina Verrelli April 8, 2013 at 10:06 am #

YUM Angela!! Looks perfect!! Just bought a big bag of onions today!

7. Jersey Girl Cooks April 8, 2013 at 1:27 pm #

This looks so delicious! I just love onions with cheese and rosemary.

8. katie April 9, 2013 at 3:09 pm #

Oh wow–this looks and sounds divine! mmm reminds me of France!