This recipe makes a lovely and quick appetizer or a light dessert, and I have also been known to eat some of these as a fast lunch. I could probably live on the combo of fruit and aged cheese, and this version skips the traditional crackers, yet still works well as a hand-held nibble. This is a rare case where I prefer to use larger strawberries (smaller ones tend to have more flavor), as they work better as carriers for the filling.
If you want to keep this on the lower carb side, just omit the end drizzle of honey. I have also made these with a little bit of fresh orange juice squeezed on the top in lieu of the honey, and that is also pretty fabulous. This is not a recipe that requires specific amounts, just the basic technique.
- Large strawberries, about a pound
- 3-4 ounces crumbled blue cheese
- chopped pecans or walnuts, lightly toasted
- honey, to drizzle (optional)
- Rinse the strawberries and pat them dry. Use a knife to cut off the top side of each strawberry, leaving the stems whole. Cut out a little of the interior of each strawberry to form a hollow. (I like to freeze the leftover strawberry bits and use them in drinks or desserts)
- Stuff each berry with some of the blue cheese and some bits of pecan. Arrange all of the stuffed berries on a serving platter and drizzle with a little honey, if desired.
And now for that giveaway…I was recently sent a review copy of Cooking for the Specific Carbohydrate Diet: Over 100 Easy, Healthy, and Delicious Recipes that are Sugar-Free, Gluten-Free, and Grain-Free, and because I tried some of the recipes and enjoyed the book, I asked the publisher to share a copy with one of my readers. They were willing, so this is your chance to win a copy of this recipe collection. I tried the recipes for the Butter Biscuits and the Lemon Pound Cake, and I plan to try the Yellow “Rice” recipe this weekend. If you are eliminating grains and refined sugars, I think you will enjoy these recipes. Here are the details to enter:
-Open only to U.S. and Canadian mailing addresses, please
-Giveaway will end on Sunday, May 5th, at 5 p.m. MST, at which time I will select a winner using Random.org. I will contact the winner using the email address provided with their entry, and they will have 48 hours to respond. If I do not receive a response in that time frame, I will select an alternate winner using the same method.
-To enter, simply leave a comment below describing some kind of dietary change you have made or would like to make.
It’s just that simple!
Thanks for reading,