Sweet Potato Fries with Roasted Red Pepper Ketchup

The primary thing that makes something “junk food” is the degree of separation from foodstuffs in their whole states.  If you love fries, eat fries–just make them yourself, and don’t feel bad about eating them.  Most commercially-produced fries are multiple steps away from the whole potato, and usually fried in oils that you might want to avoid.  Home fries are really easy, and I adore sweet potato fries.  Add in this easy, homemade ketchup, and you have a great dish that is guilt-free.

Sweet Potato Fries with Roasted Red Pepper Ketchup

The ketchup uses a roasted red pepper base instead of tomatoes, which gives it a bit of a smokey flavor and makes it less aggressively sweet than most ketchup.  If you prefer your ketchup fairly sweet, you can add an extra tablespoon or two of honey.  Taste the mixture right out of the blender and adjust to taste.  Similarly, you can adjust the chipotle for a hotter or milder flavor.  Start with smaller amounts and work up as desired.

5.0 from 3 reviews

Sweet Potato Fries with Roasted Red Pepper Ketchup
Recipe type: Appetizer, Side Dish
Serves: 4-6

• Sweet Potato Fries:
  • 2-3 medium sweet potatoes
  • Olive oil (about a tablespoon per potato)
  • Salt, to taste
  • Crushed, dried rosemary, to taste
  • Roasted Red Pepper Ketchup:
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 small onion, peeled and diced (about a cup)
  • 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
  • 2 cups chopped, roasted red peppers
  • ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • ½ teaspoon cinnamon
  • ¼-1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
  • ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves (optional but nice)
  1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Wash the sweet potatoes and then cut them into desired widths for fries. In a large bowl, toss the cut sweet potatoes with olive oil, salt, and rosemary. Arrange them in a single layer on one or two baking sheets that have been lightly oiled. Bake for about 40 minutes, flipping them once, or until they are the desired degree of browned that you prefer.
  2. For the ketchup: heat the olive oil in a medium skillet. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until the onion has just softened. Put the cooked onion in your blender, along with the rest of the ketchup ingredients. Blend until smooth. You can use the sauce as-is at this point and it will be great, but I like to then pour it into a medium saucepan and let it simmer for ten minutes, just to blend the flavors. This is good served hot or cold.

Sweet Potato Fries with Roasted Red Pepper Ketchup

The roasted red pepper base makes the ketchup more versatile than your standard tomato, and I like it served warm over pan-fried or grilled fish.  The recipe makes about 2 1/2 cups of ketchup, and it will store well in the fridge for at least a week.  If you don’t think you will use it that quickly, the recipe can be cut in half.

Sweet Potato Fries with Roasted Red Pepper Ketchup

, , , ,

14 Responses to Sweet Potato Fries with Roasted Red Pepper Ketchup

1. Wendy March 23, 2013 at 8:55 pm #

I love the flavor combination of the sweet fries with the red pepper flavor. This would be a great side dish with so many things!

• Angela March 24, 2013 at 2:56 am #

I could eat sweet potato fries every day–definitely one of my favorite sides.

2. Karen Harris March 24, 2013 at 7:08 am #

When I was growing up we rarely ate fast food. One thing I really felt deprived of was French fries. For some crazy reason my mom made her own and I never really liked them. Now all these years later I realize how right she was. Potatoes and oil. She’d love knowing she was right. Your fries look just like hers . . . delicious.

3. Scarlet Paolicchi March 24, 2013 at 10:47 am #

The roasted red pepper ketchup sounds delicious, especially since the fries are already sweet! I’m definitely going to give it a try the next time I make fries at home.

I’ve added your page to my StumbleUpon! :)

• Angela March 24, 2013 at 5:58 pm #

Thank you Scarlet! You are awesome :)

4. Eric March 24, 2013 at 4:19 pm #

The roasted pepper ketchup sounds yummy, and would be great to use in LOTS of recipes. For some reason I immediately thought of using this in a meat loaf mix, also using this on top…

• Angela March 24, 2013 at 5:56 pm #

Ohhhhh, yeah–great idea! It would be terrific for meatloaf.

5. Tracy March 26, 2013 at 10:43 pm #

I made this! It was absolutely delicious. Doubled the chipotle and served it warm on sweet potato fries. My new favorite recipe. Thanks!

• Angela March 27, 2013 at 1:26 am #

So happy to hear that! I like extra chipotle as well.

6. Robin Gagnon {Mom Foodie} March 27, 2013 at 2:17 pm #

Rstd Red Pepper Ketchup… you intrigue me :D

• Angela March 27, 2013 at 4:13 pm #

Always my goal :)

7. Jersey Girl Cooks March 27, 2013 at 6:47 pm #

I am loving this! Now I must make my own ketchup.

8. Marilyn April 26, 2013 at 9:34 am #

OMG, this looks absolutely delish! I can’t wait to make this! The ketchup looks like it’s an amazing flavor combo! I’m celebrating my birthday with a recipe link up and a spicy giveaway that include 4 oz of each of these spices: ground chipotle, ground cardamom, ground ceylon cinnamon, oregano, granulated garlic, and whole cumin. I’d love for you to stop by and link up this recipe and any other’s that use one or more of these spices. TGIF!

Marilyn