Toasted Coconut Snow Ice Cream (dairy free)

While many of you are no doubt tired of snow and are longing for spring, here in Colorado we have had another extremely dry winter, so our current snow “storm” is an incredible relief.  I put storm in quotes because I lived in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula for a few years, and this doesn’t really rank in comparison.  Still, we have great heaps of the stuff at last, fluffy and absolutely perfect for making snow ice cream.  We made a vanilla version of this when I was growing up, with my mom mixing up everything to pour on the snow, then stirring it all in after we scooped up big bowls full from the yard.  I’m sure it was a good way to keep us occupied during snow days– particularly my brother Eric, who had a tendency to build dangerous structures when no one was looking (that high-speed luge was really fun, though, as were the snow caves).

Toasted Coconut Snow Ice Cream

I was reminded of this fun childhood food by my friend Lisa over at Snappy Gourmet, who has a number of delicious-looking recipes for snow ice cream.  I thought it would be easy to do a coconut milk version and to eliminate the refined sugar, so I used a mix of maple syrup and stevia to sweeten the coconut milk, and a dash of vanilla for another layer of flavor.  It comes together in the time it takes to stir the ingredients into a bowl of snow, and then you have instant dessert.  It does melt quickly, so you might want to freeze it after mixing if you want a firmer texture–I was going for the childhood memory of that drippy-cold texture that immediately dissolves in your mouth, so I skipped the freezing step.

5.0 from 2 reviews

Toasted Coconut Snow Ice Cream (dairy free)
Recipe type: Dessert

• ⅓ cup unsweetened, flaked coconut
  • 1 can of full-fat coconut milk, well shaken (14 ounces)
  • ¼ cup maple syrup
  • about 20 drops of liquid stevia
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • pinch of salt
  • about 10 cups of clean, fluffy snow
  1. In a small skillet, dry-toast the flaked coconut over medium heat until it just starts to turn golden. Remove from heat and cool completely.
  2. In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the coconut milk, maple syrup, stevia, vanilla, and salt.
  3. Scoop up your snow into a large mixing bowl and then pour the coconut milk mixture over the top. Use a large spoon to mix it all together. It will look clumpy at first, but will smooth out as you mix.
  4. Either top each serving with some of the toasted coconut and eat immediately, or stir it in and then freeze the mixture until it reaches the desired texture.

Apologies if you are sick of seeing snow, but it was exciting enough to me that I had to snap some pics.  Here’s the greenhouse, finally looking winterish.

Greenhouse

And some bird buddies:

Birds in snow

If you have snow, you might as well eat it.  I hope you are enjoying your weather, wherever you may be.  Thanks for reading,

, , , , , , ,

12 Responses to Toasted Coconut Snow Ice Cream (dairy free)

1. Lisa Huff @ Snappy Gourmet February 24, 2013 at 2:13 pm #

Love it! I’ve been on a bit of a coconut (and mango) addiction lately! Ironically, most of our snow is gone!! Loving your greenhouse by the way!

• Angela February 24, 2013 at 2:40 pm #

You were my inspiration! I am enjoying it, but happy that today I don’t have to drive anywhere.

2. Wendy February 25, 2013 at 7:30 am #

This is definitely the winter version of “when life gives you lemons…..” What a great idea! When life gives you snow storms make snow cream :)

• Angela February 25, 2013 at 10:08 am #

But watch out for the lemon-colored snow :)

3. Tina Verrelli February 25, 2013 at 8:01 am #

Love it Angela, something I’ve never tried. Reminds me of The Little House in the Big Woods book I loved when I was little – They would pour maple syrup in the snow to make candy. – Now we just need some snow to try the goodies!! ( :

• Angela February 25, 2013 at 10:09 am #

Tina, I love that scene from the books–have always wanted to try “snow candy.”

4. Eric February 25, 2013 at 11:47 am #

I must take exception to your categorization of my creations as “dangerous structures”! I like to believe that they were exceptionally well designed, architecturally sound, play structures, never mind the possibility of broken bones or being buried in a snow cave! I should have been an amusement park designer! Those are definitely great memories. No offense to mom, as her snow ice cream was awesome, but I think I would prefer your version. Sounds yummy!

• Angela February 25, 2013 at 1:06 pm #

Well, we both lived, so I continue to believe that you are an engineering genius! I’m just glad that the luge didn’t shoot us out towards the road.

5. Jersey Girl Cooks February 25, 2013 at 2:24 pm #

My kids love making snow ice cream but we have not had any substantial amounts of snow this winter. saw that your are going to BSP. Yippee! I can’t wait to see you!

• Angela February 26, 2013 at 8:33 am #

Yes! I’m pretty excited–cannot wait to see you (and Lisa and Allie).

6. Christine (Cook the Story) February 25, 2013 at 9:45 pm #

How have I, of the cold dark country up North, never done this before? Not sure when I’ll be in the land of frigidness again but I will remember to try this when I get there. So gorgeous!

• Angela February 26, 2013 at 8:33 am #

Seriously, I would think this would be like a national dish or something…but yeah, harder for you to pull off now!