Sesame Eggplant with Sriracha-Honey Drizzle (grain free)

This is a dish I have been thinking about making for a long, long time, but only recently got around to testing it out.  I don’t know why I waited so long, as it was even better than I had imagined in my food-brain.  One of my biggest “bad” food cravings is for sesame-anything from Chinese restaurants.  This successfully mimics some of the textures and flavors, but with no grains or gluten in the crispy coating.  I think you will like it.

Sesame Eggplant with Sriracha-Honey Drizzle

For the sesame coating I put two cups of white sesame seeds in the food processor and spun them on high until they were partially pulverized.  I wanted some whole seeds left for texture, with some finely processed to make it stick a little more evenly.  If you want a more finely-textured flour, use a spice mill instead of the food processor.  Note that the two cups that I started with was more than I needed for the recipe, but I needed enough volume to have it process effectively.  I refrigerated the leftover sesame flour and plan to use it for some shrimp.

All of the quantities are going to vary a little depending on the size of the eggplant, so adjust accordingly.  Similarly, you can adapt the sauce as you like, adding more honey if you prefer a sweeter sauce, or increasing the sriracha if you love spice.

5.0 from 2 reviews

Sesame Eggplant with Sriracha-Honey Drizzle (grain free)
Recipe type: Main Dish

• 1 large eggplant, trimmed and sliced into strips
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tablespoon water
  • 1 cup of sesame “flour”
  • ghee or coconut oil, for frying the eggplant
  • ¼ cup sriracha
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
  • water to thin the sauce, as needed
  • sliced green onions (optional)
  1. Place the sliced eggplant in a large mixing bowl, and sprinkle with the salt, tossing to coat all of the pieces.
  2. Beat the eggs and tablespoon of water together, and pour over the eggplant, tossing to coat all of the pieces.
  3. In a large skillet or wok pan, heat enough ghee to cover the bottom of the pan by about a quarter inch deep. You are going to shallow-fry the eggplant, so you want enough oil to do that. Heat the oil over medium-high heat. Dredge the eggplant pieces in the sesame flour and cook them in a single layer in the hot oil. Cook until golden brown on both sides, flipping once, and then remove to paper towels to drain. Repeat with remaining eggplant until all slices are cooked, replenishing the oil as needed.
  4. For the sauce, stir together the sriracha, honey, toasted sesame oil, and enough water to thin it to the consistency you like. Drizzle some of the sauce over each serving of eggplant, and sprinkle with sliced green onions, if desired.

Sesame Eggplant with Sriracha-Honey Drizzle

This takes a little patience to fry the slices in a single layer, but it was totally worth the effort.

, , ,

15 Responses to Sesame Eggplant with Sriracha-Honey Drizzle (grain free)

1. Scarlet of Family Focus Blog February 17, 2013 at 2:51 pm #

That looks so good! And honey and the spicy chili flavor sound yummy together.

• Angela February 18, 2013 at 10:50 pm #

Thanks, Scarlet! I love spicy-sweet together.

2. Katie February 20, 2013 at 6:18 pm #

mmmm this looks so good. I love the sriracha-honey drizzle!

• Angela February 20, 2013 at 8:17 pm #

I really love sriracha–on just about anything, really.

3. sarah May 10, 2013 at 1:47 pm #

Oh, I’m so glad I found this recipe. My garden is overflowing with eggplant and I was wanting something entirely different for them. This is perfect, thanks for sharing.

So thankful to have found your site. It’s great!

• Angela May 10, 2013 at 2:47 pm #

So glad you came by! I love eggplant, and this is a little time consuming, but worth it, I think.

4. Tiffany August 20, 2013 at 6:01 pm #

Holy cow. Thank you for sharing this recipe. I just made it and had to post to you while I was still eating!!
    I think I’m going to be eating this all night.
    Genius :)

• Angela August 20, 2013 at 6:38 pm #

Thank you so much, Tiffany! You totally made my night.

5. Angela August 25, 2013 at 12:39 pm #

made these for an afternoon snack so delish!! we used a little bit of GF flour mix as well as sesame seed flour and whole seeds. Very yummy this is something we will make again!

• Angela August 25, 2013 at 12:45 pm #

Yay! So very glad you liked this–it’s one of my favorites.

6. Lisa Scott September 16, 2013 at 4:33 pm #

We totally loved this and will make it again. Have you ever tried baking it? I try not to fry much. I plan to bake it next time, so I’ll let you know how it comes out.

• Angela September 16, 2013 at 6:20 pm #

Lisa, I would love to hear how it works–it would also probably cut down the mess, if it works.

7. Suzannah September 22, 2013 at 2:47 pm #

Just made this, but I hate eggplant, and we are gluten-free, so I used zucchini and brown rice flour (didn’t have sesame seeds either!!!). Delicious little sticks of YUM. The sauce was incredible. Next time I will use sesame flour, at least for part of it.

• Angela September 22, 2013 at 4:27 pm #

Definitely would be good with zucchini!!

1. 2013 Recipe Wrap Up from Everyday Maven - December 31, 2013

[…] than the take-out I was missing. It’s a little fussy, but worth the time.” – Sesame Eggplant with Sriracha-Honey Drizzle from Seasonal and […]