Matcha and Coconut Butter Truffles

It’s that time of year when the store shelves are lined with holiday candies–heart-shaped boxes of chocolates, incredibly early Easter egg candies, and some lingering, sad-looking Santa treats.  It’s pretty much a sugar fest out there.  If you want to indulge in something sweet and rich that you can feel pretty great about eating, I have a candy for you.  This recipe stars the nutritional wonders of matcha, which is a shade-grown green tea that is ground into a fine powder.  Unlike typical green tea, which you brew and then discard, with matcha you are literally eating the tea leaves.  There is a great deal of research regarding the health benefits of matcha, and for tea freaks (like me) it also tastes really amazing.

Matcha truffles

I made the creamy truffle base with a mix of coconut butter–which is whole coconut meat, finely ground into an almond-butter-like texture–and some coconut cream from a jar of coconut milk.  If you haven’t tried coconut butter I recommend that you run out and buy a jar right now.  It is rock-solid at room temperature so you have to warm it to liquid before use, but it is creamy, slightly sweet, and very rich.  You may also find it labeled coconut manna or coconut cream concentrate.  To sweeten the mix I added stevia and a little honey, which you can adjust to taste.  If you are not concerned about carbs, you can skip the stevia and go with 2-3 tablespoons of honey.

Matcha and Coconut Butter Truffles
Recipe type: Candy, Holiday

• 1/2 cup coconut butter
  • 1/3 cup coconut cream
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons matcha
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 10-15 drops liquid stevia
  • dark chocolate and/or cocoa, for dipping and rolling
  1. To measure the coconut butter, remove the lid and place the jar in the microwave. Heat on high for one minute, or until it is warm enough to scoop. Pour the coconut butter into a medium bowl along with the coconut cream (this is the solid layer on top of a jar of coconut milk--just scoop it off and leave the liquid layer behind). Stir until blended, and then stir in the matcha, honey, and stevia, tasting and adjusting to the level of "sweet" you prefer.
  2. Refrigerate the truffle filling for 15 minutes, or until it is firm enough to roll into balls. Using your hands, roll the filling into small rounds, using about a tablespoon of filling per truffle. If you are going to dust them in cocoa, do this right after rolling and then refrigerate the truffles (I sifted some cocoa with a little powdered stevia, and used that to roll half of the truffles). If you want to dip them into dark chocolate, refrigerate for an hour after rolling so they will be firm enough to dip.
  3. For chocolate-dipped truffles, break up your chocolate into a microwave-safe bowl and microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring after each, until the chocolate is completely melted. Dip the truffles into the chocolate and then place them on waxed paper to cool. Note: if you want to keep these dairy-free, be sure your chocolate does not contain dairy. Enjoy Life brand is dairy and soy free.
  4. Makes about two dozen small truffles.

Matcha truffles

To dip the entire batch of truffles in dark chocolate you would need about 6-8 ounces of chocolate, depending on your dipping skills (if you are an amateur dipper, like me, go for the larger amount to account for errors and spoon-licking).

If you adore tea, these will make you incredibly happy.

, , , , , , , ,

19 Responses to Matcha and Coconut Butter Truffles

1. Karen Harris January 26, 2013 at 6:19 pm #

My husband is a green tea freak. He must drink 6 cups a day. This is his kind of sweet. Oh how I wish we lived next door to you.

• Angela January 26, 2013 at 6:43 pm #

I wish I could drive some down–he would love these. I am a certified tea freak, so I am trying hard to limit how many I eat.

2. Alex January 27, 2013 at 4:31 pm #

These look so pretty and tasty! I don’t make much dessert, but I’ll pass this along to my sister who might be interested! (…and if she makes them, well, then I’ll get to try them, hehe.)

• Angela January 27, 2013 at 7:19 pm #

Alex, I like the way you think :)

3. Scarlet of Family Focus Blog January 27, 2013 at 4:42 pm #

Like little green tea Sunday truffles! I love it!

• Angela January 27, 2013 at 7:19 pm #

Thanks, Scarlet!

4. Helen January 28, 2013 at 5:30 am #

Wow, they look gorgeous. Thanks for giving away the recipe. I’m currently putting matcha in EVERYTHING! I have a matcha smoothie every morning, a matcha latte later in the day and have experimented with putting matcha in cakes and even scones.

Might try truffles next

• Angela January 28, 2013 at 10:08 am #

Oh, I hadn’t thought of matcha scones–what a great idea! I love the stuff.

5. Karen (Back Road Journal) January 28, 2013 at 9:07 am #

Some healthy components wrapped up into a truffle…sounds great.

6. Lisa January 29, 2013 at 8:42 am #

Where do u purchase matcha. These desserts looks incredible and would to try the recipe but haven’t the slightest idea where I would this product.

Lisa

• Angela January 29, 2013 at 6:14 pm #

Lisa, you can order it online from Amazon, igourmet, nuts.com–or you can buy it at specialty groceries or health food stores. Here I can get it from Whole Foods or Vitamin Cottage. It has a wide range of prices, depending on where you buy.

7. Bonnie Banters February 1, 2013 at 11:09 pm #

Heavenly and I love the colors!

8. Matt H March 15, 2014 at 12:35 pm #

Angela,

Tonya and I are trying these tomorrow. FWI, when my dad and I make truffles, we freeze them then refrigerate them after about 20 minutes in freezer. Works pretty well but only if you have room in freezer. Also, I’d think any decent tea shop would have matcha. We buy ours by the gram at a local tea shop.

• Angela March 15, 2014 at 12:39 pm #

That’s a great idea–I dream of having a real freezer one day.

9. Kay September 25, 2014 at 7:52 am #

do you think these would work with almond milk instead of the coconut cream?
    thanks so much!!

• Angela September 25, 2014 at 8:45 am #

Hi Kay: Unfortunately that will not work–the coconut cream is very thick and provides some of the necessary density, so almond milk would make it impossible to use the filling.

1. ELaD's Frozen Waffles and other Naturally Green St. Patrick's Day Recipes | Paleo Parents - March 14, 2013

[...] Primal Palate’s Kale Chips, xGFx’s Coconut Milk Mint Chip Ice Cream, Seasonal and Savory’s Matcha and Coconut Butter Truffles [...]

2. Matcha Green Tea Almond Latte - Natural Kitchen Adventures - March 27, 2014

[…] or ice-cream with matcha –  here’s to green cake with no food colouring!  Or these coconut truffles look […]

3. Ten Matcha Recipes | Foodies 100 - September 12, 2014

[…] in the sugar a little, these truffles from Seasonal & Savoury are made from honey and coconut butter. Healthy and […]