If you have been watching the massive clean-up and restoration efforts going on after Hurricane Sandy and have been looking for a way to help, please consider making a donation to assist the people who have lost power, homes, possessions, and, in some cases, loved ones.  The American Red Cross is in need of donations, and you can donate $10 directly to the fund for Sandy by texting the word “Redcross” to 90999.  Feeding America is also collecting funds specific to the Sandy relief efforts.  Save the Children is collecting donations and needed items for displaced children, and #dineoutNYC is tracking restaurants that are open for business in the area, and is encouraging people to dine out and tip big to get the restaurant industry back on its feet. There are many ways to help, and the need is great, so please consider donating.

The goal of this blogger event is to spread the word about ways to help, and to share a favorite comfort dish recipe with readers.  My first thought was that if I didn’t have power for several days my favorite comfort food would be a box of donuts and a bottle of vodka, but I assumed you could figure out that recipe on your own (a tip: chocolate donuts are better with vodka).  Instead, I went with what I am going to call REAL green bean casserole–one that will make you wish you could eat it every day, not just at Thanksgiving.  This is the real deal, with a sherried mushroom cream sauce and some crispy shallots on top.  Nothing canned, nothing fake, just pure, luxurious flavors.  If you serve this at Thanksgiving and people don’t like it, please do not invite them back to dinner next year, because there is something wrong with them.

Green Beans with Sherried Mushrooms and Fried Shallots
Recipe type: Side Dish

• 2 pounds green beans, cooked to the degree of "done" you prefer
  • 1 cup thinly sliced shallot
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 pound cremini mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
  • 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
  • salt, to taste
  • 1/4 cup dry sherry
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream (no substitute)
  1. Place the cooked green beans in a serving dish and keep them warm until the toppings are ready.
  2. For the shallots, break up the rounds into individual rings before you cook them, so they will crisp up more as they fry. Heat the olive oil over medium-high in a medium skillet. Add the shallots and cook, stirring frequently, until the rings get brown and start to look crispy. Do not let them burn, but let them get nicely browned. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with a little salt.
  3. For the sauce, heat the butter over medium-high in a large skillet. Add the mushrooms, garlic, white pepper, and salt, and cook, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms are softened. Increase the heat to high and add the sherry. Cook until the sherry has mostly cooked off, and there is only a little liquid around the mushrooms. Add the cream and cook, stirring frequently, until the sauce has reduced enough to easily coat a spoon.
  4. Pour the mushrooms and sauce over the green beans, and top with the fried shallots right before serving.

You must use real cream in the sauce or it will not thicken, so don’t try to go low fat with this recipe.  You are pouring that sauce over a whole bunch of green beans, so this is totally healthy, trust me.  Also, if you grew up in an area that called green onions “shallots,” note that here it means the smaller, purple-skinned, onion-looking-things.  Green onions will not work as a substitute.

There are a number of other wonderful comfort food recipes shared by bloggers, and you can view them here.  Please do consider donating to this recovery effort if you can!

, , , , , , ,

29 Responses to Support for Sandy Blogger Event: Green Beans with Sherried Mushrooms and Fried Shallots

1. Karen Harris November 9, 2012 at 6:27 pm #

This will definitely be on my Thanksgiving table. My husband will love you for it. What a great contribution to the event.

• Angela November 10, 2012 at 8:21 am #

Thanks, Karen–so glad that Barbara thought of this.

2. Scarlet November 10, 2012 at 8:06 am #

Looks like a great recipe and a great cause! I stumbled!

• Angela November 10, 2012 at 8:22 am #

Thank you, Scarlet!

3. Betsy November 10, 2012 at 11:08 am #

Would it be good with roasted green beans?

• Angela November 10, 2012 at 12:39 pm #

It would be good in bowl, or on your palm–the green beans are just the carrier :) But to answer that question, yes, this would be fabulous on roasted green beans.

4. Kate@Diethood November 12, 2012 at 10:59 am #

This sounds delicious!! I think this should be on my dinner table real soon!

• Angela November 12, 2012 at 10:27 pm #

Thanks, Kate! They really do beat the canned stuff.

5. Mom Foodie November 12, 2012 at 6:20 pm #

Looks delicious! Pinning it now, hopefully a few people will be saved from gloopy condensed soup green bean casserole this year…lol.

• Angela November 12, 2012 at 10:28 pm #

Patty from Chowstalker said “no cans were harmed in the making of this casserole.” Save the cans!

6. Bonnie Banters November 12, 2012 at 8:46 pm #

Hi Angela, These green beans look magnificent; and I agree they top the traditional dish in a big way!

If anyone wants to post the Badge for the Red Cross efforts in helping those who’ve suffered as a result of Hurricane Sandy, Liz at thatskinnychickcanbake.blogspot.com has posted a link for the badge on the side of her page.

7. Angela November 12, 2012 at 10:29 pm #

Thanks, Bonnie, I will head that way to check it out.

8. Hans November 27, 2012 at 6:27 am #

This was great, thank you. I made a second batch and used toasted walnuts on top rather than shallots ( I didn’t have any) and it was a great add.

• Angela November 27, 2012 at 10:25 am #

That sounds pretty great to me–I love walnuts with green beans.

9. Cage Free Family January 19, 2013 at 8:05 pm #

I just wanted to leave a comment to say that I am in love with your blog and shared it in my short list favorite food blogs on my Cage Free Family site in a post which will air tomorrow morning. There is a book being published in London this fall which features our story and the importance of whole foods to it. It is blogs like yours that allow me to keep inspired and motivated. Thank you.

• Angela January 19, 2013 at 9:15 pm #

Thank you so much, I am incredibly flattered! I am heading over to check out your blog, and thank you so much for the kind words.

10. Lonna August 20, 2013 at 1:56 pm #

I have someone in the family that is allergic to sherry. Do you think I could substitute something?

• Angela August 20, 2013 at 3:15 pm #

Hi Lonna: you could really just leave it out all together–it adds a little flavor but it isn’t necessary for the final product.

• Lonna August 20, 2013 at 5:30 pm #

Thank you! I didn’t know if it would be a huge difference or not.

11. Karina November 12, 2013 at 3:25 pm #

I used this recipe last year for Christmas and it was delicious! I will be using it again for Thanksgiving this year! Thanks for a tasty dish!

• Angela November 12, 2013 at 3:27 pm #

I am so happy to hear that! So glad you like it.

12. Katie Sullivan November 28, 2013 at 7:10 am #

I typically don’t post reviews for recipes (especially not on Thanksgiving morning), but this was absolutely fabulous! It was so good I had to have a bowl for breakfast. Thank you for sharing such a great recipe – it will make my gluten-free Thanksgiving that much easier.

• Angela November 28, 2013 at 9:22 am #

You totally made my Thanksgiving, so thank you so much for posting this! Happy day to you and your family :)

13. Abby K. December 1, 2013 at 12:29 am #

I just wanted to thank you for this recipe. Last year I tried an alternative to “Green Bean Casserole” and it was tedious, the ingredients were expensive and the flavor was so-so. I stumbled upon your recipe from something someone shared on FB and am absolutely overjoyed with it! I made it for Thanksgiving exactly per your directions except we had to substitute the sherry with marsala and it was soooooooo stinkin’ good! I can’t wait to make it again for Christmas! Thank you so very much for this recipe, it will definitely be a permanent addition to our holiday meals from now on.

• Angela December 1, 2013 at 9:43 am #

Marsala sounds great, actually! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave this wonderful comment, it made my week.

1. Hey, Joob! » Days 7 & 8: Beat the Sweet - November 20, 2012

[...] also had green beans topped with onions and mushrooms using THIS RECIPE. It says no substitutes for the cream but we took both it and the sherry out and used chicken stock [...]

2. Naturally Gluten Free Links #11 – November - November 29, 2012

[...] Angela of Seasonal & Savory made green beans with sherried mushrooms and fried shallots [...]

3. Favorite Thanksgiving Recipes | The Creekside Cook - November 21, 2013

[…] Side Dishes Simple Bites – Butternut Squash Gratin Gourmand in the Kitchen – Celery Root and Cauliflower Purée with Garlicky Greens What Jew Wanna Eat – Mushroom Challah Dressing Texanerin – Honey Sweetened Orange Cranberry Sauce Nel’s Nook – World’s Best Turkey Stuffing The Law Student’s Wife – Glazed Sweet Potatoes with Whiskey Pecans Savvy Eats – Ginger Glazed Carrots Dizzy, Busy & Hungry – Broccoli and Snow Pea Salad with Apple Butter Dressing Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks – Rosemary Mashed Potatoes & Sausage and Sage Stuffing Cupcakes & Kale Chips – Apple, Bacon and Cheddar Cheese Stuffing Pineapple & Coconut – Best Ever Slow Cooker Cranberry Chutney Chocolate Moosey – Homemade Gravy (Without Meat Drippings) Snappy Gourmet – Cardamom Apple-Pearsauce Poet in the Pantry – Refrigerator Mashed Potatoes Seasonal & Savory – Green Beans with Sherried Mushrooms and Fried Shallots […]

4. 101 Thanksgiving Side Dishes | Noble Pig - November 23, 2013

[…] with Honey & Smoked Paprika from The Lemon Bowl Ginger Lime Brussels Sprouts from Spabettie Green Beans with Sherried Mushrooms and Fried Shallots from Seasonal & Savory Sauteed Carrots from Karen's Kitchen Stories From Scratch Green Bean […]