Dark Chocolate-Dipped Fresh Cherries with Pistachio “Pits”

I recently received a cherry pitter from Oxo to test out for their blogger cherry contest, and I immediately decided that I needed to try some fresh cherries dipped in chocolate for my entry.  I love traditional chocolate-covered cherries (my favorites are from a great little chocolate place in Muncie called Lowery’s), but since I am on this no-refined-sugar kick I thought it would be fun to try fresh cherries and dark chocolate.

These do have a small amount of refined sugar from the chocolate, but I used a 72% cacao and single-dipped the cherries, so it is minimal.  You can eat tons of these, because they are totally health food.  Really.  I used the Oxo pitter–which was genuinely an improvement over my old pitter, largely due to the nifty splatter guard–and replaced the pits with whole pistachios, just for kicks.

So, all modesty aside, these are just the best thing, ever.  I used half sweet red cherries and half Ranier, and while they were both wonderful the Raniers were exceptional.  The tart, almost citrus flavor of the cherries was perfectly offset by the dark chocolate and the slightly-sweet pistachio.  I kind of love these.

I stuck some of the stems back in after coating these with chocolate, just because I thought it would look cool (it does), but that is completely optional.  These would also be wonderful with milk or white chocolate, though slightly less awesomely healthy.

5.0 from 2 reviews

Dark Chocolate-Dipped Fresh Cherries with Pistachio “Pits”
Recipe type: Candy
Serves: several, or two, depending

• 3 dozen sweet cherries
  • 3 dozen shelled pistachios
  • 8 ounces good-quality dark chocolate
  1. Pit your cherries, making sure you pit from the stem end down to keep them intact. Stuff each pitted cherry with a shelled pistachio.
  2. Break up your chocolate and place the pieces in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high for 30-second increments, stirring after each, until the chocolate is melted.
  3. Using a fork, dip each cherry into the chocolate, letting the excess drip off a bit, and then place on waxed paper to cool. Repeat with remaining cherries. You will have a little melted chocolate left over, which you should probably eat with a spoon, just to be safe.
  4. If you like, re-insert the cherry stems into the tops of the dipped cherries before the chocolate sets up.
  5. Since these are made with fresh fruit, they should be refrigerated if they are not consumed the day they are made. As if.

These are really easy to make, if slightly time consuming, and would make a wonderful gift.

I still have a couple of giveaways going on, one for Ball canning supplies, and the other for GoodBelly probiotics–all you have to do to enter is go to the links and leave a comment!

Angela

, , , ,

15 Responses to Dark Chocolate-Dipped Fresh Cherries with Pistachio “Pits”

1. Karen Harris July 15, 2012 at 6:24 am #

I’m in love. I can’t wait to try these.

2. Denise Heikinen July 15, 2012 at 8:02 am #

I’m curious. I don’t know my cherries, but I just read that Michigan’s tart cherries were wiped out and so cherry jams or salsa are being imported from Poland now even though Utah is a big cherry state and theirs are in good shape. Are Ranier cherries sweet or tart? I assume they come from Washington state?

• Angela July 15, 2012 at 10:12 am #

Yeah, Raniers are from Washington, so they are pretty widely available out here. They are not genuinely tart, they just have more of a tart edge than Bing cherries. What happened in Michigan? I assume some kind of weather thing. That is depressing–loved to drive by Traverse City and just eat cherries until I was sick.

3. Vicky July 16, 2012 at 9:58 am #

What a great idea! I love that you put in a pistaschio pit and the stems back on. Congrats on the top 9!

• Angela July 16, 2012 at 10:05 am #

Thank you Vicky!

4. Christine (Cook the Story) July 17, 2012 at 1:40 pm #

Stuffing the cherries is such a great idea! Question: Do you have to warn people that the hard center is not a pit or do they figure it out right away when biting?

• Angela July 17, 2012 at 10:19 pm #

I think it would be safer to warn people–not that I would know, because we ate the whole batch…

5. Jersey Girl Cooks July 22, 2012 at 5:13 pm #

I just love this idea! Going to make some soon. I have a bunch of cherries in my fridge. Not sure if I have pistachios but maybe I’ll substitute almonds.

6. Lorie July 27, 2012 at 9:39 am #

I am not a huge fan of cherries but I love, love, love the idea of putting a crunchy nut into the center of it. Maybe this could be done with other fruit too. Great job.

7. curt's delectables July 28, 2012 at 6:48 pm #

Thanks for you comments and visit… you have an awesome blog! Thanks for leading me here!

• Angela July 28, 2012 at 11:22 pm #

Thanks, Curt! Looking forward to seeing more of your great food.

8. Chris at Hye Thyme Cafe September 18, 2012 at 3:26 pm #

Just came across your blog for the first time when this post popped up on Stumble. Just did a little wandering around your recipe index and am now following via Google Reader, Pinterest, etc. You’ve got some great stuff posted. :)

• Angela September 18, 2012 at 4:30 pm #

Thank you, Chris! So happy to have you here.

9. Carole July 25, 2013 at 2:38 pm #

Hi Angela, today I’m collecting recipes using cherries and/or almonds. Please drop me a line on ca4ole@gmail.com if you are ok with me linking to your post on Carole’s Chatter. Cheers

1. Chocolate Covered: Recipes for Valentines Day - Daily Dish Magazine~Daily Dish Magazine - January 25, 2014

[…] Dark Chocolate Dipped Cherries with Pistachios  […]