Chilled Sorrel Soup

Right now I am out on the back deck, and it is 101 degrees.  It’s a dry heat, so it only feels like 97.  Balmy.  We are in the midst of a pretty rough summer here in Colorado.  So, let’s take our minds off of the heat and the wildfires, and have some cold soup:

Sorrel is a plant that is used for both culinary and medicinal purposes, and while it is not easy to find at a grocery store (it doesn’t hold or ship well), you can find it at farmers’ markets, or it is easy to grow.  We received a nice bunch of sorrel with our last C.S.A. share:

Sorrel contains oxalic acid, which provides its characteristic tart flavor.  It is often described as lemony, and while that does capture the flavor to some extent, I experience it as more as a green note, in the sense of underripe fruits.  It is beautiful mixed with some rich ingredients, as I have done in this vegan, no-cook soup.   Oxalic acid is dangerous in large quantities, but you would have to eat a lot of sorrel to be concerned.  Live on the edge, I say.

Chilled Sorrel Soup
Recipe type: Soup, Vegan
  • 1 cup raw cashew pieces
  • 3 1/2 cups water
  • 1 bunch sorrel, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups, chopped)
  • 1 avocado, pitted and peeled
  • juice and zest of half a lemon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  1. Place the cashews in a bowl and cover them with the water. Refrigerate for at least two hours, or overnight.
  2. In a blender or food processor, blend the cashews and their soaking water until very smooth (this will take a while). If you want a really silken soup, strain the cashew mixture to remove any larger bits. I like the texture, so I leave it as is.
  3. Add the sorrel, avocado, lemon juice and zest, white pepper, and salt to the cashews. Blend until smooth. Taste and adjust the salt and pepper, if needed. Chill the soup for an hour or two before serving.

I sincerely hope you all are staying cool out there, and please send out some good thoughts to our state firefighters, who are working overtime, and in genuinely miserable conditions.  Let’s hope this breaks soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

, ,

11 Responses to Chilled Sorrel Soup

1. Denise Heikinen June 25, 2012 at 4:45 am #

Those ingredients make for a genuinely unusual and fascinating recipe! And I’ll have to ask Chip when he delivers our CSA tomorrow whether some of the stuff is sorrel or spinach. I may have had sorrel before and assumed it was spinach. Looks like the two could substitute for each other.

• Angela June 25, 2012 at 8:37 am #

They do look pretty similar, but the taste is distinct–you could use spinach but increase the lemon juice, and come up with something in the same flavor zone.

2. Jersey Girl Cooks June 25, 2012 at 8:56 am #

I have not made any chilled soups yet this year but I need too with our hot weather in NJ. This looks so refreshing.

• Angela June 25, 2012 at 10:48 am #

Hope you are at least getting some rain out there! It has been far too hot to cook.

3. Christine (Cook the Story) June 25, 2012 at 7:09 pm #

I hate admitting that I’ve never had sorrel. I’ve been wanting to try it for ages but have NEVER seen it sold ANYWHERE. Now, with this soup, I know what I have to do. I am just so not a garderer. Oh well. Here’s hoping I can find some seeds somewhere. I will look and I will buy and I will plant and I will nurture and then I will soup.

• Angela June 25, 2012 at 7:16 pm #

That’s one of the reasons I was *so* excited to get some from the CSA–it is so rare to find it. I need to try to grow some, too.

4. CJ at Food Stories June 27, 2012 at 10:49 am #

Thx for connecting with me on foodbuzz. I just subscribed to your blog feed and can’t wait to see what your next post will be!

• Angela June 27, 2012 at 1:01 pm #

Thanks CJ! So nice to meet you.

5. Mary January 9, 2018 at 10:57 pm #

I like sorrel and would like to make the soup. One thing – I don’t eat cashews (peanuts either). Could I substitute something else’s like pecans, walnuts or almonds perhaps?

• Angela January 10, 2018 at 1:49 pm #

Hi Mary: I think blanched almonds would work and would not change the color–just make sure you soak them well first. Walnuts or pecans would also work, but they will change the color. If that isn’t an issue I think they both would work well.

1. Paleo No Cook Dinner Recipes - August 5, 2016