Cookie-Like Things

I collect vintage cookbooks, and in the 1950′s these would have been called something like “Springtime Blossoms” or “Rainbow Bars.”  In the 1970′s, “Unicorn Snackaroos.”  They are sort of cookies, sort of brownies, and sort of candy.  Please make up your own, appropriately-cheerful name, reflecting the era of your choice.Most of you know that when I am not obsessing about food I am teaching at one of our finer higher education establishments (Tuesday night is Ladies’ Night–buy one course and get a second one free).  This semester I have been fortunate to have an exceptionally wonderful group of students populating one of my courses.  They are smart, funny, and so motivated that they actually make up their own assignments.  Sort of the Platonic Ideal of a class.  I like them so much, I made these cookie-like things, just for them.

You will notice the colorful little chocolate bombs dispersed throughout–those are pockets of clearance Easter candy.  I love that class, but I still like to save a little cash when I can.  Candy-coated chocolate eggs are 50 percent off, at a store near you…

I wanted to make these slightly healthier than a standard cookie.  I started out with the classic Toll House cookie recipe, but with the following changes: I subbed quinoa flour for half of the all-purpose flour, to add protein and fiber.  I replaced the brown sugar (usually 3/4 cup) with a half of a cup of coconut sugar.  Less refined sugar, which makes perfect sense, since the next step was to dump in three cups of clearance Easter candy.  It’s all about balance, folks.  I spread the batter in a 9×13 inch baking pan (which makes for a brownie-type thickness) and baked at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

Are they good?  I have no idea, but I will report back from the class.  Are they healthy?  Absolutely not.  They will not, however, kill you as fast as other cookies.  Also, if you don’t buy all of the clearance Easter candy, who will?

10 Responses to Cookie-Like Things

1. Lisa @ Snappy Gourmet April 11, 2012 at 11:27 pm #

Unicorn snackaroos?? LOL I had to hold back on the clearance Easter candy because I went a little crazy on the clearance Valentine's day candy that is still sitting in my cupboard and waiting for the "perfect" idea that just hasn't happened yet. You're the best teacher! None of my professors ever brought us food!!!

2. Denise Patterson-Monroe April 12, 2012 at 4:38 pm #

Those look yum, although I have to say I am really laughing at you for the quinoa and coconut sugar – girl, if you are gonna cook 1960's style with the whole Easter candy thing, it kinda defeats the purpose to add quinoa! No mixing of decades in cookie cooking! :-)

Next up, you should think about making Dream Bars.

3. Jersey Girl Cooks April 12, 2012 at 10:25 pm #

Rats, my grocery store was out of Easter candy! These look so yummy!

4. Angela April 13, 2012 at 4:01 am #

The cookie-type things were a hit, and the debates were wonderful. I heart that class.

5. Angela April 13, 2012 at 4:02 am #

Haven't heard of them–what is the overall idea? And yeah, I know it was an exercise in futility, but I like these people so I wanted to make something that would not be quite as deadly as a standard cookie. The quinoa flour actually improved the texture, so I would do that again.

6. Angela April 13, 2012 at 4:03 am #

It goes fast around here, but I grabbed a couple of the last bags!

7. Denise Patterson-Monroe April 13, 2012 at 1:53 pm #

OMG, you haven't heard of Dream Bars? LMK next time you come up to Yorktown and I'll bring you some – they are like a dense, shortbread-type cookie crust with nuts in it, topped with a layer of melted chocolate chips, topped with a sort of thick gooey coconut-brown sugar meringue. I don't think they could be made healthy with quinoa or tofu or anything, they are pretty much the epitome of that kind of '60s over-the-top cookie, but they are yummy. I used to put them in my Christmas cookie boxes every year.

Nice to hear that the quinoa flour improved the texture – they look delish, your class is lucky! :-)

8. Lorie April 27, 2012 at 1:43 pm #

I am glad to hear these cookies at least slow down the death process. :) I love your healthy substitutions and how you balance the bars with a little bit of naughtiness. I must try coconut sugar (?). Probably will not be able to get it here, but I will look.

9. Angela April 29, 2012 at 5:00 pm #

Denise, I may be there in later summer–I will let you know, as I would love to meet up.

10. Angela April 29, 2012 at 5:00 pm #

I'll bet you can find it, it is getting pretty popular. I am all for (slightly) slowing the death process :)