Lentildoodles

I so need you all to trust me on this one.  These cookies are amazing.  I am not going to pretend that these are health food–they are still cookies–but the lentils let you reduce the butter by half, while maintaining a really crispy texture on the outside, with a soft center.  In fact, I prefer the texture of these cookies to the non-lentil version I typically make.  Not kidding.

Freaking delicious, and by swapping out half the butter for a cup of cooked lentils, you add in 16 grams of fiber, 18 grams of protein, and a healthy dose of iron.  You also eliminate 90 grams of fat with the switch.  The best part, however, is the cookies are so, so good.  I was really taken with the beautiful texture, and the flavor is classic snickerdoodle.

Lentildoodles
1 cup cooked red lentils
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup soft butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 1/2 cups flour
2 tablespoons cinnamon
1/4 cup sugar

In a food processor or blender, pulse the lentils, eggs, vanilla, butter, salt, baking soda, and cream of tartar until the butter is in tiny beads and the mixture is fairly smooth.

In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the sugar and flour.  Stir in the wet ingredients until a soft dough forms.  Refrigerate the dough for at least an hour, or until it has firmed up enough to roll into small balls.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Mix the cinnamon and 1/4 cup sugar in a small bowl.  Using damp hands, roll the chilled dough into 1 1/2 inch rounds and coat them with the cinnamon sugar mixture.  Place the dough rounds on a cookie sheet that has been coated with cooking spray, or that has been lined with a silpat or parchment paper.  Place the dough rounds 2 inches apart, as they will spread as they bake.

Bake each tray of cookies for ten minutes, or until the edges are golden (be sure to chill any unused dough until you are ready to roll it and bake). Place the cookies on a wire rack to cool.  Makes about 3 1/2 dozen cookies.

Seriously, try these.

16 Responses to Lentildoodles

1. Lisa @ Snappy Gourmet March 17, 2012 at 9:53 pm #

Oh my goodness Angela, genius!

2. Anonymous March 17, 2012 at 10:17 pm #

these look uh-maaazing. i'd love to try them, but do you know if i could freeze them? there's only two of us in our house and i like the idea of making one big batch that i can have in the freezer for cookie emergencies!

3. Ann March 18, 2012 at 1:15 am #

These look great and I love snickerdoodles; one of my favorites! I will try a wheat free version and post back. Thanks!!

4. Kirsten@My Kitchen in the Rockies March 18, 2012 at 1:31 am #

Great idea with the red lentils. Love it! Recipe will be tried!! Thanks.

5. Donna-Marie March 18, 2012 at 11:34 am #

So clever and they look amazing! DMR

6. Angela March 18, 2012 at 5:25 pm #

I stuck a couple of them in the freezer overnight, and then, purely in the interest of science, thawed them out and ate them at lunch (the sacrifices I make…). The texture was still perfect, so I would say yes, freeze away!

7. Angela March 18, 2012 at 5:25 pm #

Excellent, would love to hear back!

8. Angela March 18, 2012 at 5:26 pm #

Hope you enjoy! I was so happy with how these turned out.

9. Angela March 18, 2012 at 5:26 pm #

Thank you!

10. The Mom Chef March 18, 2012 at 6:59 pm #

I love this idea but I'm sitting here wondering if I'd be able to slide it past the family without them being any wiser for the experience. Hmmmmmm

11. Angela March 18, 2012 at 7:02 pm #

YOU CAN!! I took these to a dinner party last night and people were shocked when I told them what they had just eaten. Seriously, they just taste like really fantastic cookies.

12. Jersey Girl Cooks March 20, 2012 at 8:15 pm #

Wow, healthier cookies! Love the idea!

13. Choc Chip Uru March 22, 2012 at 8:08 am #

These are some of the most delicious healthy cookies I have ever seen! Your pictures are gorgeous :D

Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru
    Latest: Double Nutella Cheesecake Brownies

14. Dalyn August 25, 2012 at 6:01 pm #

Any suggestions for eliminating the eggs in these? My boys are big fans of snicker doodles…

• Angela August 25, 2012 at 6:47 pm #

You might be able to increase the lentils by about a third cup–they make the dough fairly sticky, and based on other experiences cooking with lentil puree, they do bind pretty well. That, or chia seed goo… But I am thinking they might really work without the eggs. If you try it, I would love to know the results.

1. Food Bloggers’ Favorite Holiday Cookie Recipes - December 10, 2012

[...] Lentil Doodles – Seasonal and Savory: Yes, there really are lentils in these cookies for a healthier twist.  They look really good! [...]