Brie and Pistachio Stuffed Mushrooms

Yesterday I enjoyed a long lunch at The Kitchen  with two of my favorite people, Christian and Abi, and the stand-out dish was the deceptively simple-sounding “Mushrooms on Toast.”  Grilled bread with a smokey edge, topped with mushrooms cooked in a copious amount of butter and garlic, served with lemon dressed greens.  Simple and unbelievably good, and even the mushroom-averse Christian gave it a big thumbs up.  So, I have had mushrooms on my mind, and today I made this really easy (just three ingredients!) mushroom dish.

I adore mushrooms and I like to stuff them with any manner of things and roast them and eat them for lunch, on a salad, as an appetizer, or just because.  Don’t save these for a party, as they are really easy to make.  When roasted, mushrooms will exude a lot of liquid, so I pulsed the pistachios until some of them were fully ground (not all of them–you want some texture and color) to help absorb the liquid.  You really are not supposed to wash fresh mushrooms because it adds to that liquid issue, but I cannot help myself.  I stem them, rinse them quickly, and them let them drain on a dish towel before stuffing and roasting.

For the brie, I used an eight-ounce wheel and cut off the outer edges of rind but left the rind on the top and bottom of the wheel for some stability.  This is mostly a textural issue, so leave or remove as much rind as you like.  Here is the technique:

Brie and Pistachio Stuffed Mushrooms
1/3 cup shelled pistachios (roasted and salted)
8 ounces Brie
2-3 dozen medium-to-large cremini mushrooms, stemmed and cleaned (about a pound and a half)

Preheat the oven to 375.  Spray one or two baking pans with cooking spray (I used two, 8 x 10 inch pans).

Using a blender or food processor, pulse the pistachios until about half are the texture of coarse cornmeal.

Cut the brie into half-inch pieces and toss with the pulsed pistachios.  Stuff each mushroom cap with some of the mixture and arrange in a single layer in the prepared baking sheets.  When all of the mushrooms are stuffed, spoon any remaining pistachios over the top.

Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the mushrooms are soft and the filling is bubbly.  Serve hot or at room temperature.

15 Responses to Brie and Pistachio Stuffed Mushrooms

1. Lisa @ Snappy Gourmet January 14, 2012 at 10:04 pm #

I've actually been thinking about making some stuffed mushrooms. These look great!

2. Karen Harris January 14, 2012 at 11:15 pm #

Oh my gosh, these look so tempting. All the ingredients are on my list of favorites. Yum!

3. Robin @ Yankee Kitchen January 15, 2012 at 6:30 pm #

Dang, these sound good. I think I will make a batch soon, with a little crispy Pancetta on top :D

4. Angela January 15, 2012 at 6:56 pm #

Oh wow, that sounds good…next batch.

5. Jersey Girl Cooks January 15, 2012 at 10:30 pm #

Mmmmmnnn, great flavors! I am a mushroom lover. Actually I am making some tonight….wish I had pistachios and Brie on hand.

6. Sonali-The Foodie Physician January 16, 2012 at 2:31 am #

Looks delicious- I love brie but my husband doesn't so I don't buy it very often. I love the fact that the recipe only has 3 ingredients- great job!

7. Shawn January 17, 2012 at 4:07 pm #

I never would have thought of this but I'm glad that you did!

8. joonieb January 29, 2012 at 9:51 am #

Hi.. I love stuffed mushrooms (well mushrooms in any guise really) I like mine done with Dolcelatte and caramalised onions but I'll definitely be giving this a try :))

9. joonieb January 29, 2012 at 9:56 am #

Definitely does, Pancetta makes most things goooood :)) lol

10. Carrie September 18, 2012 at 6:58 am #

I love stuffed mushrooms. I’ve seen so many recipes for them, but nothing quite like this. That filling sounds completely awesome.

• Angela September 18, 2012 at 8:29 am #

If you love brie (I do!) you will really like these–and they are nice and filling, too.

11. Andrea September 24, 2012 at 10:49 am #

These look amazing, I LOVE stuffed mushrooms! And brie and pistachios???? I bet they are super creamy and nutty…can’t wait to try this recipe!

• Angela September 24, 2012 at 12:25 pm #

Thanks, Andrea! I really love brie, so these are a favorite.

1. A Real-food Thanksgiving Roundup | Seasonal & Savory - November 19, 2012

[...] If you are still planning your menu, consider adding in some new favorites, made with unprocessed, whole foods.  Some starters that anyone will love include Brie and Pistachio Stuffed Mushrooms: [...]

2. 101 New Year's Eve Eats and Drinks - Rhubarb and Honey - December 30, 2013