"Grown Up" Fish Sticks with Lemon-Thyme Mayo

It was a loooooong week at work, and that always makes me crave childhood foods when I finally hit the weekend–mac and cheese, tomato soup, scrambled eggs, fish sticks…  While there are some respectable frozen fish sticks on the market now, I prefer to make these, which I make using an extremely lazy breading method.  Sometimes lazy is fine.

Mahi Mahi is a mild, firm fish that is easy to find and works nicely for the fish stick treatment.  I used gluten free panko bread crumbs for extra-crisp coating and I pan-fried some potato wedges in olive oil and sprinkled them with Penzey’s 4S Seasoned Salt, which I also used on the fish.  The 4S has a light smoke flavor from the addition of smoked paprika, and is the only seasoned salt I really enjoy (love it on popcorn, too).

Traditional breading involves rolling the fish in flour, then dipping in egg wash, then a final dip in crumbs.  I prefer my lazy, one-bowl method, described below.

Grown Up Fish Sticks with Lemon-Thyme Mayo
1 pound Mahi Mahi, cut into “sticks”
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
seasoned salt, to taste
1 1/2 tablespoons corn starch
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup gluten free panko crumbs
coconut or olive oil, for pan frying
1/2 cup mayo
several sprigs of fresh thyme, leaves removed
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
fresh lemon zest

Place the mahi mahi “sticks” in a medium mixing bowl and sprinkle on the lemon juice and seasoned salt.  Use a large spoon to stir to coat the fish.  Sprinkle the cornstarch over the top and stir to coat.  Add in the beaten egg and stir, again, to coat.  Pour in the panko and use your hands to toss and coat the pieces of fish.  Place the coated pieces of fish on waxed paper, pressing down the panko to adhere.  Don’t worry if there are gaps in the coating.

Skim the bottom of a large skillet with olive oil, and heat over medium high.  Add the fish sticks in one layer, without crowding too much.  Cook until one side is golden brown and then flip to cook the other side.  Drain on paper toweling and repeat until all fish is cooked.

Whisk together the light mayo, thyme leaves, lemon juice, and lemon zest, and serve with the fish sticks.

These are crispy, crunchy, and light-tasting, with a a coating that doesn’t overwhelm the fish but gives you that great texture.  We love them, and I hope you will too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

, , , , ,

17 Responses to "Grown Up" Fish Sticks with Lemon-Thyme Mayo

1. Lorie September 18, 2011 at 1:16 am #

Love fried fish. And I need to check Penzey's out. Lawry's seasoned salt just doesn't cut it.

2. Angela FRS September 18, 2011 at 1:30 am #

I agree, I have never really cared for Lawry's. Penzeys makes a couple of varieties and I love the "smokey" version. Awesome.

3. Pegasuslegend September 18, 2011 at 1:35 am #

these look sensational!

4. Angela FRS September 18, 2011 at 1:38 am #

Thanks so much! They really are easy and good.

5. Emme @Food Samba September 18, 2011 at 2:21 am #

Looks really good. i love Mahi Mahi. I liek how the coating isnt too heavy, because I when it is it destroys the fish!

6. Bo September 18, 2011 at 3:28 am #

I never ate fish sticks as a kid…I'm not even sure I have ever had them…but these sound so much better than the frozen ones.

7. Karen Harris September 18, 2011 at 1:12 pm #

These look really great. I love fish if it is really mild (has no flavor) so I can enjoy my tartar sauce. I do love mahi mahi so these will definitely be added to my "to make" list.

8. marla September 19, 2011 at 2:29 am #

I am crazy for these panko crusted fish sticks.
    I am hosting an online 30 day challenge called *Project Lunch Box* Please join us. Hop in any time during the challenge. We are sharing recipes, meal planning ideas, cool gadgets, etc. Anything is great! You can link up your blog URL or share posts you have all ready published like this one. Just add the badge or our link somewhere on your blog to show your support. http://su.pr/221xT1

9. Shawn September 19, 2011 at 12:45 pm #

Making these TODAY!

10. Candace September 19, 2011 at 12:55 pm #

I've had fish sticks on my mind lately and here you are with a version that I can feel good about eating. They look incredible. I'm pinning this recipe as a must try. I love the lemon thyme mayo that you are serving these with. Yum!

11. Angela FRS September 19, 2011 at 1:53 pm #

Thanks Candace! They are definitely healthier and "feel good" food. We love them.

12. Kathleen September 20, 2011 at 1:00 am #

These look really delish! Going to stumble 😉

13. Angela FRS September 20, 2011 at 1:19 am #

Thanks Kathleen!

14. Cathy W September 20, 2011 at 12:59 pm #

I love your fish sticks! We just bought a box from Trader Joe's, and they are good–but these look so much better. Yum…I could wrap them in a tortilla and but stuff on 'em. Now I'm hungry. 🙂

15. Angela FRS September 20, 2011 at 2:05 pm #

Cathy, I had not even thought about using these for fish tacos–genius!

16. Yenta Mary September 22, 2011 at 11:37 am #

Some day, I am just going to have to be rude and invite myself over for dinner. I'll be calling from the airport, telling you I'm on my way – that will at least give you a few moments of warning. I won't even worry what you'll be serving me, 'cause I know it will be amazing!!!

17. Calogero September 25, 2011 at 11:53 pm #

It's easy for me to find lemons. Very good.