Gingered Peach Crumb Cake

Peachapalooza has had a really great run this year–the Western Slope had a wonderful crop–but alas, all amazing things must come to an end.  For my final peach extravaganza I thought I would go with this simple (but irresistible) fresh peach crumb cake.

Full of chopped fresh peaches and topped with a little gingered streusel, this is a lightly-sweet cake that makes a great afternoon snack with a cup of coffee or tea.  I have been known to eat this type of sweet for breakfast, providing it makes it to the next day.

Gingered Peach Crumb Cake
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 tablespoons butter, melted
2 1/2 cups chopped fresh peaches (2 large peaches)

Topping:
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
4 tablespoons butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and ginger.  Stir in the eggs, milk, vanilla, and butter until incorporated, then stir in the peaches.

Spread the batter in a lightly-greased, square baking pan (I used a 10-by-10 inch pan but this would fit into an 8-by-8 inch pan).  Combine the topping ingredients and sprinkle evenly over the top.  Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until the cake springs back in the center.  Cool before cutting into squares and serving.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

12 Responses to Gingered Peach Crumb Cake

1. Karen Harris September 11, 2011 at 10:57 pm #

Shut. Up! I take after my mother and agree with you that these types of cakes make a wonderful breakfast. Your photos are beautiful.

2. Anonymous September 11, 2011 at 11:57 pm #

That looks amazing!

Betsy

3. Angela FRS September 12, 2011 at 1:02 am #

Thank you! I am getting self conscious about my photo due the constant rejection from Foodgawker, so I really appreciate that. I kind of hate them now…

4. Jersey Girl Cooks September 12, 2011 at 4:32 pm #

I love the added ginger. Looks great!

5. The Mom Chef September 12, 2011 at 6:12 pm #

You absolutely can't miss with a simple peach crumb cake. Especially can't miss a plop of ice cream dropped right next to that gorgeous piece. It looks amazingly delicious.

FYI, I asked Foodgawker to remove my membership from their database. I feel so much better now.

6. Angela FRS September 12, 2011 at 6:42 pm #

You can do that? I removed their widget. Just gets too frustrating. Good for you! They need some upstart competition.

7. Shawn September 12, 2011 at 8:25 pm #

Love the addition of ginger in the cake and crumb topping! Also, love your photos 🙂

You're not alone, they NEVER accept my photos!

8. Bo September 13, 2011 at 4:02 am #

No…This would not last till breakfast around here. I think you always have great pictures…what does Food Gawker know.

9. Christine (Cook the Story) September 13, 2011 at 12:34 pm #

This is my *favourite* kind of cake: Fruity, not too sweet but with a bit of zing. Can't wait to try it!

10. 5 Star Foodie September 14, 2011 at 2:10 am #

The addition of ginger in both the cake and the topping sounds fantastic!

11. Andrea September 17, 2011 at 8:15 pm #

The cake sounds lovely. Love the addition of ginger. I just talked hubby into trying out our new French press. A slice of your cake would go so nicely with the coffee…

1. A guide to peaches - Running to the Kitchen - June 4, 2014

[…] guacamole Ginger peach pie Pickled peaches Peaches and cream quesadillas White peach mini galettes Gingered peach crumb cake Fresh peach and riesling sorbet Frozen peach margaritas Peach brown betty Roasted peach muffins […]