Aleppo-Crusted Haloumi Cheese

They really could not be easier to put together.  I cut up eight ounces of Halloumi into cubes of roughly the same size, then dredged them in a large egg that I whisked together with a teaspoon of cornstarch.  Just toss the cubes around to coat all of the sides, then liberally sprinkle them with Aleppo pepper.  Brown in olive oil and serve them warm, with a squeeze of lemon. You could use tapioca starch instead of corn starch, and if you don’t have Aleppo pepper you could use crushed red pepper.

This is one of those things that you make and then you think, why have I not been eating this every day of my life?  Why has no one thought of a fried cheese diet?  And what is stopping me from patenting that idea right now?
So, you heard it here first–the Cheesie Poofs diet.  You are welcome.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

, , ,

14 Responses to Aleppo-Crusted Haloumi Cheese

1. Bo August 22, 2011 at 12:15 am #

Yum…I love Halloumi cheese…I usually just grill it and serve it over a salad…but I'm going to have to look for some aleppo pepper.

2. Shawn August 22, 2011 at 10:32 am #

I'm leaving the screen now and pretending that I didn't just see this deliciousness 🙁

3. Kate@Diethood August 22, 2011 at 2:10 pm #

I could so inhale every one of those. YUM!

4. Rosita Vargas August 23, 2011 at 1:14 am #

Delicious dish, looks amazing, beautiful photos, hugs.

5. Roxana GreenGirl August 23, 2011 at 2:26 am #

fried cheese diet – i love it!! you're a genius Angela 🙂
    I love cheesy bites and these sound super delicious!!!

6. Angela FRS August 23, 2011 at 3:00 am #

I want more of these. I really need to go on that diet.

7. sweetpeaskitchen.com August 23, 2011 at 3:07 am #

That is exactly what I am thinking, why haven't I been eating this every day of my life? Delicious!! 🙂

8. Angela FRS August 23, 2011 at 3:14 am #

Thank you for the validation! I knew I couldn't be the only one…

9. Dan August 25, 2011 at 1:03 pm #

Not bad, and right on time. I guess this time of year (carnivals, festivals, etc.) is fried cheese season, isn't it?

10. Yenta Mary August 30, 2011 at 1:55 am #

My resolution for the month of September (since I need to take advantage of tomorrow to go shopping) is to sign on for the Cheesie Poufs diet. I'm ready! Who needs fruits or vegetables???

11. Orly Hersh August 30, 2011 at 4:17 pm #

I am going to make these as soon as I can get my hands on the cheese. Mmmmmmm. I wonder if they have halloumi at the cheese importers.

12. Angela FRS August 30, 2011 at 5:12 pm #

Orly, yep–that is where we typically buy it, although I have also seen it at some King Soopers.

13. Maureen chandler October 17, 2015 at 4:02 pm #

I live in Arvada colorado and i love this haloumi cheese, i want to find out wherein my area that i can buy it.
    Thankyou

I love this cheese.

Kind regard
    Maureen

• Angela October 17, 2015 at 4:41 pm #

Maureen, I have found it at Sprouts and at Whole Foods, as well as at specialty grocery stores–I know there is in an International market somewhere in Avada (I think it is called Sultan’s) and they might have it. If all else fails, you can order it online through Amazon.