White Bean and Tuna Dip

It is far too hot to cook, and right now even outdoor grilling seems like it will generate too much heat.  Time for some no-cook, cooling meals.  This is an easy, healthy dip that is a great main dish served with some chips and cut-up vegetables as dippers.  Add a salad and some wine, and you won’t ever have to break a sweat.

You can do endless variations on this basic recipe, and some of my favorites are the addition of kalamata olives, sun dried tomatoes, rosemary, and/or chopped fresh tomato.  Use what you have on hand, and with a few basic pantry ingredients you will have a great summer meal.  Here is the recipe:

“Too Hot to Cook” Tuna and White Bean Dip
1 15-ounce can Great Northern Beans, rinsed and drained
6 ounces olive oil-packed tuna, undrained (or water packed tuna, drained, plus 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil)
2 cloves garlic, crushed
juice of two lemons
2-3 green onions, trimmed and chopped
1/4 teaspoon salt

Place all ingredients in a food processor and pulse a few times, just to form a chunky paste.  You still want some texture going. Taste and adjust salt, if needed.  Serve at room temperature or chilled, drizzled with a little additional olive oil, if desired.

-Angela FRS

8 Responses to White Bean and Tuna Dip

1. Karen Harris July 22, 2011 at 10:14 pm #

I'm sitting here right now thinking how delicious this would be with a glass of wine then I realize that I am dining with grilled cheese boy tonight. Maybe next week with my Wednesday lunch group. They would love it.

2. Jersey Girl Cooks July 22, 2011 at 11:04 pm #

This looks great especially since it's 103 today!

3. Angela FRS July 22, 2011 at 11:20 pm #

Yow. You have us beat! Only about 98 here (practically balmy…). Karen, it pairs well with a crisp white :)

4. Erin @ Peasant's Feast July 23, 2011 at 2:01 am #

I hope the weather is going to get better for you! I have to say, anything that doesn't involve added heat sounds good, but this looks wonderful! Keep cool…

5. Ang July 24, 2011 at 5:16 am #

One of my most favorite things to eat for lunch is tuna mixed with a little mayo and then potato chips for dipping. (definitely a treat) I can not wait to try this recipe! I love every ingredient and I think it all mixed together would be soooo good. I'm so excited, can you tell?? :)

6. The Mom Chef July 24, 2011 at 5:34 pm #

Angela, you're right. It's way too hot to cook. This tip is perfect; providing everything we need. I'll be it would even be good on a slice of tomato!

7. Angela FRS July 24, 2011 at 10:36 pm #

Oooo…on sliced tomatoes sounds fantastic. Will try that when we finally have some ripe ones.

8. Angela FRS July 25, 2011 at 3:47 pm #

Ang, I think this would be most excellent with potato chips!