Simple Herbed Green Onion Dip

If you are attending a picnic or a barbecue to celebrate Independence Day, have I got an easy dip for you!  This is my absolute favorite summer dip, both because it is delicious and healthy, and because it uses up lots of green onions and fresh herbs.  It is great served with fresh vegetable dippers, crackers, chips, or whatever you enjoy dipping and crunching.

The recipe could not be any easier–in your food processor or blender, blend together 8 ounces of light cream cheese, eight ounces of fat free cottage cheese, a standard bunch of about six green onions (trimmed and chopped) and a large handful of fresh herbs.  Use whatever herbs you enjoy.  For this batch I used a lot of fresh tarragon, and I have made it with just about any other fresh herb (basil, thyme, cilantro, lemon balm).  Blend until smooth, and serve.  This dip keeps well in the fridge for a few days, if it lasts that long, and it is delicious with baby carrots and pepper strips.  If you want to make something summery for the Fourth but don’t want to heat up the house, this is your dish.

If you want to serve this as a sweet dip, with fruit, skip the onions and add in “sweet” herbs like mint or lemon balm, and add in a tablespoon of honey.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

6 Responses to Simple Herbed Green Onion Dip

1. Tina @flourtrader July 3, 2011 at 10:32 pm #

Great item for tomorrow and entertaining-yum. Thanks for sharing.

2. Karen Harris July 4, 2011 at 4:21 am #

Creamy herb dip with red and yellow pepper strips. . . mmmmm, perfection. Curling up with this (and possibly a glass of wine) and a good movie is my idea of a wonderful evening.

3. The Mom Chef July 4, 2011 at 1:21 pm #

I love the thought of just throwing in whatever herbs I have growing at the time. I wish I had planted tarragon this year (what was I thinking??). The dip looks so wonderfully fresh and light. I'd definitely serve it with veggies.

4. Angela FRS July 4, 2011 at 2:22 pm #

Our tarragon plant is absolutely enormous every year–we had no idea they would get so huge. We end up hacking it back like a shrub, and fortunately I love tarragon!

5. Betsy July 4, 2011 at 5:54 pm #

Looks great! Will it be okay for cottage cheese haters? I don't know how much of that texture is retained.

6. Angela FRS July 4, 2011 at 6:14 pm #

It turns out nice and smooth and creamy, so if the texture is the issue I think you would be just fine. Just blend it well. That's why I love it–it tastes like something really fattening, but it really isn't.