The spice mix I used for my batch was salty/smokey/and slightly sweet, and I think the cinnamon really makes it. You can mix and match spices as you like, of course, but if you want a smokey flavor the smoked paprika and chipotle will add that. Note that I have updated the recipe slightly from its previous version, switching to avocado oil from olive oil and tossing the chickpeas with the spices before baking.
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil (or olive oil)
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper (or to taste)
- Dry the rinsed chickpeas on paper towels to remove excess moisture. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Toss the chickpeas with the oil and the spices and spread them out on a cookie sheet that has a raised edge, or in a baking pan. Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until they start to sound like marbles when they roll around the pan (they should be smaller in size and darker in color).
- Remove the pan from the oven and let the chickpeas cool for a few minutes before eating. Store any leftovers in an air-tight container.
These make for an addictive little snack, and I have been known to smuggle them into the movie theater to eat instead of popcorn.
Thanks for reading,