Asparagus with White Balsamic Strawberries and Toasted Hazelnuts

As previously mentioned, I love asparagus.  When it is in season I partake of it several times a week.  My favorite way to cook asparagus is to trim the stalks, toss with a little olive oil, and cook them on the outdoor grill until slightly charred.  That was my plan for this batch, but an unexpected day of cold weather kept me away from the grill.  My preferred indoor method is microwave steaming, which retains the beautiful color.

A great seasonal pairing is some sliced strawberries, simply warmed in a little olive oil and white balsamic vinegar.  Dark balsamic is also great, but makes for a less appealing color.  Just toss the sliced berries in a skillet with the oil and vinegar and let them warm while the asparagus is steaming.  Sprinkle on a little salt and ground white pepper, and spoon over the asparagus.  The toasted hazelnuts make this main-dish worthy for a light lunch.  Directions for toasting hazelnuts are linked here.

To steam asparagus in the microwave, just trim and rinse the stalks then loosely wrap them in a damp paper towel.  Place on a microwave-safe plate and nuke for 4-5 minutes (less for thinner stalks, more for thicker).  Carefully open the paper towel so you don’t get a steam burn, and serve.
Happy Spring,

, , , , , ,

8 Responses to Asparagus with White Balsamic Strawberries and Toasted Hazelnuts

1. Orly March 24, 2011 at 8:58 pm #

Can't wait to try this!

2. Karen Harris March 25, 2011 at 3:09 pm #

What a nice combination of flavors and so pretty to look at.

3. Alex March 25, 2011 at 5:49 pm #

Mm… Angela, you need to come over here some spring and play around with these foods! They mostly have white asparagus and supposedly it's a little different from that back in the states. And farmers' markets are everywhere! <3

4. Sara @ Saucy Dipper March 25, 2011 at 11:13 pm #

Those strawberries sound fantastic. I haven't experimented with balsamic nearly enough.

5. Mary March 25, 2011 at 11:36 pm #

What a nice way to fix asparagus. I think it would be perfect for Easter dinner. I'll have to give it a try. I'm rather new to your blog and don't comment a lot. I did, however want you to know how much I enjoy the food and recipes you feature for your readers. I enjoy my visits here. I hope you have a great day. Blessings…Mary.

6. Jill Colonna March 28, 2011 at 5:08 pm #

Angela, this sounds so simple but incredibly delicious. Love all the seasonal ingredients, textures and lovely touch with the white balsamic. I got some the other day so now I'm just waiting on asparagus turning up here. Not long to go! Thanks so much for the inspiration.

7. cajunlicious March 29, 2011 at 1:42 am #

Just got a few pounds of asparagus so I can't wait to try this.

Found your blog through a mutual blogger & glad I did. Looking forward to seeing more.

Check out my blog @ http://cajunlicious.blogspot.com/

1. 20 Savory Strawberry Recipes - Cupcakes & Kale Chips - May 15, 2014

[…] ASPARAGUS WITH WHITE BALSAMIC STRAWBERRIES & TOASTED HAZELNUTS by Seasonal & Savory […]