Crock Pot West African Sweet Potato and Peanut Stew

I had a request for some vegetarian slow cooker recipes, and this rich, vegan stew was one of the first things I decided to try.  The simplicity of the prep is that all you really have to do is chop up the sweet potatoes and some onion, then throw it all in the pot.  It makes a flavorful and satisfying cold-weather meal.

Toss in some fresh spinach for the last few minutes of cooking, and then serve with rice, or quinoa, or just as is.  Adjust the heat levels to your personal preferences.  This is also nice garnished with some chopped, roasted peanuts and/or some fresh cilantro.

Crock-Pot West African Sweet Potato and Peanut Stew

1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed (about three cups)
1 small white onion, peeled and diced (about one cup)
1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes with their juice
4 cups water
1/2 cup peanut butter (smooth or crunchy)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger (or a half teaspoon of powdered ginger)
1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 cups fresh baby spinach

Combine all ingredients, except the spinach, in your crock pot.  The peanut butter will incorporate as this cooks, so don’t worry about adding it in as a lump.  Cook on high for 3-4 hours, or on low for 6 hours.  When the sweet potatoes are tender, stir in the spinach, cover, and let it cook for another 10-15 minutes, or until the spinach is wilted.  Taste and adjust the salt and seasonings, if needed.  Serves 4 to 6.

, , , , , , ,

17 Responses to Crock Pot West African Sweet Potato and Peanut Stew

1. Yenta Mary February 28, 2011 at 4:58 pm #

Oh, my … that looks SO good!!!

2. The Mom Chef February 28, 2011 at 7:33 pm #

It looks absolutely fantastic. Great job coming up with something on the fly like that!

3. Anonymous March 1, 2011 at 1:36 am #

Wow. It's way more interesting than I ever imagined. I will get the ingrediants tommorow.

4. Angela FRS March 1, 2011 at 1:55 am #

Hope you like it–you can really adjust just about anything, and you can use regular paprika if you don't have smoked. The peanut butter makes it rich.

5. Ang March 1, 2011 at 5:28 am #

The whole thing sounds amazing! I haven't worked with peanut butter much in my savory dishes, but I want to try more. This really inspires me. Thanks Angela!

6. Spoon and Chopsticks March 7, 2011 at 7:38 pm #

Looks good. Nice combination.

7. Denise Heikinen March 12, 2011 at 2:16 pm #

I'm putting this on tonight's menu!

8. Peasant Gourmet March 12, 2011 at 5:11 pm #

That is just beautiful! My mouth is watering!

9. Angela FRS March 12, 2011 at 5:26 pm #

Thanks everyone! It is definitely going into our standard rotation–very easy, very yummy.

10. vegetarianirvana March 23, 2011 at 3:41 pm #

I saw this recipe on the NC Sweet Potato FB page. I love the simplicity of this dish and I am sure it is yummy.
    Sandhya.

11. Anonymous September 6, 2011 at 3:49 am #

I've never worked with a sweet potato, and don't care for how they taste. I love normal potatoes, though. I wonder how easy it would be to replace with red potatoes, or if that would mess it all up.

12. Angela FRS September 6, 2011 at 3:52 am #

Red potatoes would definitely work, but you might want to replace the sweetness with something like sweet red pepper, just to balance out the spice–let me know if you try it!

13. Anonymous November 4, 2011 at 10:28 pm #

I made this dish tonight and it was fabulous. Since we love peanut butter, I added a bit more than the recipe called for. I also served it over cous cous instead of rice. This one is a keeper!!

14. Angela November 4, 2011 at 11:52 pm #

So glad you liked it! I have made it with extra PB and enjoyed it.

1. 30 Healthy Slow Cooker Recipes - The Lemon Bowl - January 9, 2014

[…] Healthy Slow Cooker Refried Beans by Rachel Cooks Crock Pot West African Sweet Potato and Peanut Stew by Seasonal & Savory Crock Pot Chickpea Stew with Caramelized Onions by Cookin’ Canuck Slow […]

2. 40+ Healthy Slow Cooker Dinner Recipes - Jeanette's Healthy Living - March 5, 2014

[…] Fajitas, Shockingly Delicious Slow Cooker Country Captain with Hatch Chilies, Shockingly Delicious Crockpot West African Sweet Potato and Peanut Stew (vegan), Seasonal and Savory Slow Cooker Thai Peanut Chicken, Emily Bites Slow Cooker Chicken with […]

3. Easy Crock Pot Recipes - My Life, Blogged. - November 3, 2014