I have also tweaked the recipe a bit and put it into a printable format. I decreased the total amount of sugar and went with coconut sugar instead of refined white sugar, and I adjusted the amount of chipotle to make them a bit more mild. You can do this to taste, of course. I also added in a teaspoon of vanilla for another layer of flavor.
Here’s the recipe for this addictive little snack. For a vegan version, skip the egg white and toss the pecans with two tablespoons of melted coconut oil before tossing with the spice mixture.
- 3 cups raw pecan halves
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper (or to taste)
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Lightly coat a cooking sheet with coconut oil.
- Place the pecans in a medium mixing bowl. In a small bowl, whisk the egg white with the vanilla extract. Pour the egg white mixture over the pecans and stir to coat.
- In a small bowl, stir together the cocoa powder, cinnamon, salt, chipotle, and coconut sugar. Pour this over the pecans and stir until they are evenly coated. Spread the pecans in a single layer on the prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake for 12 minutes, then stir the pecans. Reduce the heat to 225 degrees and bake for another 10-12 minutes. Remove the pecans from the oven but leave them on the hot cookie sheet until they have cooled completely. Stir to break up any clumps.
These make a nice holiday gift and they are much lower in sugar than the traditional cookies and candies, so they are appropriate for a lot of special diets. You can easily double the amounts to make a larger batch for gift-giving purposes.
Thanks for reading,