Slow-Roasted Goat Tacos, Plus Mild Pontificating on Cuteness

Before our C.S.A. shares ended, I ordered up some pastured meat for the freezer–soup bones, a lovely piece of pork belly, and a goat roast.  I had never eaten goat, largely because I find them so cute and endearing, but I am a believer that if you are going to eat meat it should be 1. done sparingly, not as a daily thing,  2. it should be from animals that got to run around and eat grass and bugs, 3. it should utilize all parts of the animal, not just the “high on the hog” parts, and 4. it should challenge your own, random, “cuteness” hierarchies.  After all, chickens are amazingly cute, and most people think nothing of eating pounds and pounds of chicken.  One of the more interesting and frequently-occuring conversations in my classes is the culture relativity of what constitutes a “meat” animal, and why that may be.  Americans, for instance, seem to object most strongly to eating horses and dogs (which are regularly consumed in other cultures), but chow down with fervor on cows and turkeys.  Literally, food for thought. So, I got the goat.   I decided to do a long, slow roast with a wet rub and then use slivers of the roasted meat in some elegant-in-their-simplicity tacos.

I started by making a wet rub out of salt, crushed garlic, cumin, cinnamon, lemon juice, and olive oil.  I rubbed this into the meat and then put it in our heavy, Le Creuset roasting pan.

I covered the pan and did a long, slow roast–325 degrees for a little over three hours.

At this point I cut thin slices for the tacos, which were made with corn tortillas from Las Americas (heaven), some crumbled feta cheese, a squeeze of lemon, and some fresh cilantro.  They were really fantastic.  The goat tastes a bit like a cross between pork and lamb, with the fine-grained texture of pork and the lightly gamy flavor of the lamb.  It was extremely tender and well-flavored with the rub.  Very delicious.

Should you happen upon a goat roast, now you know what to do.  Goat is widely consumed outside of the U.S. and is growing in popularity here, largely in the Southwest.  Find a local farmer, and give it a try.

, , , ,

9 Responses to Slow-Roasted Goat Tacos, Plus Mild Pontificating on Cuteness

1. Karen Harris December 11, 2010 at 4:41 pm #

I agree with you 100% on using all cuts of meat. Any cut of meat is great cooked low and slow. I'm not sure about goat though, but your tacos just might convince me. Another great looking recipe Angela.

2. Angela FRS December 11, 2010 at 4:44 pm #

It helps that I adore most of the "nasty bits," so that might be a little self serving. You should try it Karen, I'll bet you would like it.

3. Anonymous December 11, 2010 at 6:21 pm #

I love goat. Frontera serves goat dishes quite often. I have trouble with "weird meats," though. I'm fine with things like short ribs, but organ meats and offal that I haven't tried or that can't be disguised are tough for me.

4. Patricia Stoltey December 14, 2010 at 7:46 pm #

It does seem odd that we eat lamb or mutton without a second thought but hardly ever choose goat. Interesting post.

5. Patricia Stoltey December 14, 2010 at 7:48 pm #

6. Lea Ann January 15, 2011 at 8:20 pm #

Where did you get the goat meat? I've had goat once and it was surprisingly delicious. Never seen it for sale.

7. Angela FRS January 15, 2011 at 8:26 pm #

Lea Ann, I ordered it from Grant Family Farms, a Denver-based CSA. They have pastured goat, lamb, pork, chickens…all of it really good.

8. Steve December 31, 2012 at 1:03 am #

Personally I’m a dog-lover and owner of six. Dogs love you in a way that no chicken, turkey or cow or goat ever will. Some breeds will die to protect their owners from harm.

Anyone who loves dogs will despise the way that dogs are treated in the countries that eat them!

I’ve seen pictures of them with their muzzles stuffed into opened tin-cans and legs wired together – laid out on the pavement in markets! OR – in North & South Korea; they believe that a dog tortured before it is killed tastes better – in that country I have seen smuggled video where they hang them upside down on trees and beat them with sticks; prior to killing them!

Post this comment. You need some perspective Angela! Edit your blog and stop being so naive and suggestively cruel.

Steve

• Angela December 31, 2012 at 11:51 am #

Steve, I understand what you are saying about loving dogs, and I am an animal lover (especially dogs and cats) as well–but I also eat animals, so I believe it is naive to put them in different hierarchies. That was the whole point of the post. Cultures view different animals as “pets” versus food, and it is pretty random. If you are a vegan, I think you have a right to be outraged about any kind of animal consumption. If you are not, you are drawing arbitrary lines. Given your email address and URL, I think it is very safe to assume that you are eating animals.

Have you seen how chickens and pigs are raised in CAFOs? It’s pretty gruesome. If you are seriously concerned about animal welfare, look at how the meat you are buying is raised, and ask yourself if that is how you would like your dogs to be treated. Animal welfare issues extend far beyond dogs, and that is exactly the point.